Chapter 15

"We'd all feel better if we knew the plan." Lori said while giving Carl a hot drink from the fire. The boy went to sit next to his friend, he was getting worried, she hadn't spoken to him in a while.

"Is there a plan?" Andrea asked.

"We're gonna keep him here?" Glenn pushed.

"We'll know soon enough." Rick concluded, standing next to Shane in front of the small group. Their attention turned to Daryl as he approached, knuckles bloody and bruised.

"Boy there's got a gang, thirty men." Daryl told. "They have heavy artillery and they ain't looking to make friends. They roll through here, our boys are dead. And our women, they're gonna..." the man trailed off. "They're gonna wish they were."

"What did you do?" Carol asked softly.

"Had a little chat." Daryl stated bluntly.

"No one goes near this guy."Rick told the group.

"Rick, what are you gonna do?" Lori whispered to her husband. He was quiet for a moment before speaking up.

"We have no choice. He's a threat." Rick spoke . "We have to eliminate the threat."

"You're just gonna kill him?" Dale deadpanned. Disgust obvious in his voice.

"It's settled. I'll do it today." Rick ignored the man before walking off, Dale following him.

•••

"So he's a kid?" Carl asked Shane as he and Rory walked by the older man's side. "How old is he?"

"He ain't a kid. Just... that's a figure of speech." Shane explained.

"Can we see him?"

"No." Shane phrased. "Look, man, this is... this is grown up stuff, alright? You just... you just let us handle this." The man then patted both children on their backs before walking to the shed. Carl and Rory stood there for a moment before looking to each other, determination in their eyes.

•••

The new boy was older than Rory thought he'd be. And more beat up too. She guessed they could thank Daryl for that. The boy looked up to the children as they quietly sat on the platform above him.

"Hey." Randall whispered. "That's a sweet hat. I'm Randall. What's your name." Carl went to say something, but cut his words short as Rory elbowed him before moving closer to Randall.

"The sheriff guy... they're your dad? I like him." He then looked to Rory, who was inching closer. "No offence, but I don't like yours." The girl paused and levelled the boy with a stare which made him pale slightly. "Your mom out here too?" Carl tilted his head and scooted over to Rory. "You're lucky you still got your family. I lost mine."

Carl tapped Rory before descending the stairs quietly, Rory followed hesitantly, she couldn't hear her dad and Andrea's voices anymore.

"Hey, I... I don't know what people been sayin' about me, but I didn't do nothing. I swear." Randall rambled. Rory looked to Carl wearily as Randall's voice got louder. "Your dad was gonna let me go till his friend started fighting with him."

The two children were now on the same level as Randall. Rory standing behind Carl slightly. "My camp, we got lots of supplies. You help me, I'll take you and your folks back to my people." Randall nodded. "We'll take good care of you. Keep you safe. Just gotta... just gotta help me get out of here, okay?"

Rory grabbed Carls arm as her friend tried to walk closer to the man. She wondered if Carl believed him, surely not, right? Didn't he ever learn about stranger danger in school?