Chapter 51

Rory wasn't sure what to do with herself. Rick and Michonne were busy being 'officers' and Daryl was outside the walls. Rory huffed as she thought of something to do, god knows what her brother was even doing, probably chasing after that girl again. She had had a bicker with Carl a few hours prior that left the girl feeling a little detached from her friend. She still hoped he wasn't being stupid outside of the walls. Just thinking about the boy made her angrier.

The girl sighed as she walked around the streets of Alexandrea. It was unnerving how unaware of the outside these people were. They were perfectly okay to live in ignorance of the horrors from just outside the wall. Rory scoffed, they were dumb, why would somebody build a community of people who know nothing of how to fight, not even just the dead, but people too. They didn't realise that the dead isn't the only threat.

•••

"Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?" Rory asked Rick, the man snorting at the girl fondly as they walked over to Deanna's house, Carl and Carol following.

"Behave." Rick softly scolded Rory, bouncing Judith slightly. He watched as Rory rolled her eyes as they made their way to the door, not noticing how with each step closer they got, Rory got gradually tenser.

Carol walked in first, carrying a dish, followed by Carl and then Rory and Rick, the latter directing Rory through the door so that she couldn't ditch last second. The girl looked up as Deanna approached, a glass in her hand. She still couldn't understand how the woman seemed so care free.

"Welcome." The Deanna smiled.

"Hi." Carol beamed back. "Oh, it's so good to see you."

"Hi Carl, Rory... thank you for coming." Deanna welcomed as Rory looked down... its not like she had a choice in the matter. Almost as if Rick had read her mind, he sent her a gentle warning look. "You know, I didn't get a chance to interview this one." She smiled at Judith. "I envy her."

"Why?" Ricki asked off-handedly.

"She'll get to see what this place will become." Deanna explained nonchalantly. The woman then lead the small group further into the house, Rory sticking close to Rick as they made their way past many strangers.

Eventually Carol and Carl went off to meet new people, Rick squinted at Rory, she hadn't really spoke. "You okay? You look... sad."

"Thanks." Rory deadpanned to the older man, picking at her sleeve. Was she supposed to look happy? She grimaced internally. "It's the trauma."

"Rory... what did we say?" Rick sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"Don't joke about my problems." Rory recited with an eye roll. After a few seconds, Rick spoke up again.

"Why don't you go explore?"

"Like outside of this dumb party?" Rory smiled stiffly.

"No." Rick denied. "Inside, with people." Rory shook her head at the man. If she was being honest with herself, she didn't want to leave Rick right now, she felt as though he was the only thing stopping her from freaking out. Both of them looking to the side when somebody approached.

"You're Rick."

"Rick, this is my husband, Reg." Deanna explained, gesturing to the man who approached at her side. Rory looked to her feet, bouncing on her toes slightly as she was practically glued to Ricks side.

"You're a pretty remarkable guy." Reg praised Rick.

"How's that?" Rick asked, putting his hands on his hips, leaning into Rory slightly. It wasn't much, but Rory understood. It was Rick reassuring her that he was with her.