Chapter 31

"You didn't wake me up." Carl complained as he walked over to the pig pen. Rick and Rory looked up at him.

"Cause I knew you were up all night reading comics with a flashlight." Rick laughed.

"So was she." Carl whined, pointing to Rory.

"Yeah, but she's more subtle." Rick teased his son.

"Ninja." Rory whispered, Rick laughing at her. They both stood by Carl, looking at the pigs.

"What's up with Violet?" Carl asked.

"I told you not to name them." Rick scolded his son softly. "They're not piglets anymore, they're food."

"I just thought... you know, until..." the boy trailed off.

"I think she's sick." Rory voiced, looking to Carl.

"Could be." Rick agreed. "Or it could be nothing." He then began clicking his tongue, trying to get the pigs attention. "Feel better, Violet." Rick looked to the kids, watching them crack up.

"Daryl was asking for you by the way." Carl told Rory. "He said you're late." The girl rolled her eyes before she handed her gloves to Rick, off to find her friend.

•••

Rory held onto Daryl's waist as they rode across the road. He and Rick had finally decided to let her go on a run. She was extremely excited, practically vibrating where she sat.

"Sit still." Daryl called over his shoulder to the girl. She mumbled some half hearted apology before grinning again.

•••

"Okay, I think I got it." Zach spoke up.

"Got what?" Michonne asked. Rory sat next to Daryl on the outside window ledge to a big store.

"I've been trying to guess what Daryl did before the turn." Zach explained, taking a seat next to Rory as she swung her legs back and forth.

"He's been trying to guess for like six weeks." Rory laughed.

"Yeah, I'm pacing myself." Zach defended. "One shot a day." He explained.

"Alright, shoot." Daryl told the boy.

"Well, the way you are at the prison, you being on the council, you're able to track, you're helping people, but you're still being kind of... surly. Big swing here." Zach rambled. "Homicide cop."

Rory struggled to keep a straight face as she buried her face in Daryl's shoulder to muffle her giggles, Michonne laughing too.

"What's so funny?" Daryl asked.

"Nothing." Michonne laughed. "It makes perfect sense."

"Actually, the man's right." Daryl stated, causing Rory to go into another fit of silent giggles. "Undercover."

"Come on, really?" Zach insisted.

"Yep... I mean, I don't like to talk about it, cause it was a lot of heavy shit, you know?" Daryl looked to Rory and smirked at the girl.

"Dude, come on, really?" Daryl just stared at the boy and he deflated. "I'll just keep guessing I guess." Daryl humming in agreement. A few walkers made a noise and banged on the glass behind them, Rory getting out her knives and following Daryl.

"We're gonna do this, Detective?"

"Let's do it"

•••

After a few minutes of being tense, clearing out the building, Daryl allowed Rory to stray from his side. She did just that and started filling her bag with stuff she thought may be handy back at the prison.

She packed her bags full of sweets after checking the date and finding out they were still good. The kids back home would love her forever. She then walked around a little more and put in some arts and crafts for the younger ones. She jumped out of her skin when there was a crash.

"Daryl?" The girl waited for a second with baited breath before she got a response.

"Everyone's allright! We're over in wine and beer." Rory made her way quickly to the isle they were at and saw Daryl moving some shelves. Bob was stuck under one. She looked up to the ceiling and stood closer to Daryl when she heard it creak.

"I was moving fast, man." Bob rushed out. "I drove right into the drinks."

"Man, you lucked out." Tyreese reassured. "If this thing had come down on you the wrong way..."

Rory yelled as a walker fell through the roof, hanging by some metal. Glenn and the others ran round the corner. She felt Daryl move her behind him as she got her gun back out. She had a feeling she was gonna need it.

"Yeah, uh, we should probably go now." Rory breathed out.

"Bob's still stuck." Daryl stressed. "Get him out of there." He then began lifting the shelf that Bob was stuck under as Rory began firing at walkers falling through the roof.

She turned around when she heard Glenn yell and she pulled her arm back and shot it forward, throwing a knife into the walkers skull. She saw Glenn pocket one of her knives as she turned back around to shoot at more walkers.

"Shit." She ran out of ammo and armed herself with a knife in each hand. She ran up to a walker and jumped, breaking its leg and pushing it against the ground before stabbing it in the eye.

"Crap." Rory groaned as she got sprayed with blood. It was one of her favourite shirts.

She had just killed her third walker, coming face to face with another one, only for it to drop dead with an arrow in its head. The girl nodded at Daryl before moving by Glenn. The man suddenly tugged her back harshly. She was confused for a moment before the roof came caving in, a helicopter falling from above them. If it was a different circumstance, Rory would have laughed at the bizarre situation she had landed herself in.

The girl raced forward to Zach as he screamed in pain, launching herself at the walker that was biting at his leg. She stabbed it through the head and looked to a panicking Zach before kicking the corpse away slightly.

"We gotta amputate your leg." She told the boy sternly, it made him scream more.

"We gotta go!" Glenn yelled as more and more walkers made their way to the group. Another walker fell, right by Rory and Zach, tackling the girl. She struggled a little before killing it and turning to Zach. A walker was attatched to his throat. She felt hands on her, pulling her away.

"No! We can't leave him!" Rory screamed, thrashing and kicking her legs out. She heard a grunt from above her as Daryl picked up the twelve year old with little difficulty and ran for the door. Just as they got out, the whole roof collapsed. If they would have been in there a minute longer, they would be dead, just like Zach.

•••

Daryl was the one to tell Beth. Rory felt bad that she couldn't save him. Once they got back from the run, Rory took her mind off it by handing out sweets and crafty things to the children, they were all excited and Rory put on a fake smile. She guessed no matter how many days they went without accidents, death was still the normal.

She walked to her cell, passing Patrick in the halls before making her way into bed. Today had been a long day. She face planted her pillow before falling asleep on top of the covers.

•••
yayyyy season four baybeeee
Ngl, I've had this written for ages, I kind of forgot about it since I have a new job!!
AnEWAYS, insomnia is still my best friend 🦔

please don't forget to vote and comment! <3