Chapter 22

Rory and Carl were cleaning their guns on the steps as Lori and Beth walked past, crutches in hand for Hershel. They followed the two into the cell.

"You just take your time." Lori told Hershel.

"Daddy, don't push yourself." Beth stressed to her father as he stood, adjusting himself on the crutches.

"What am I supposed to do?" The man asked. "I can't stand looking up at that bottom of that bunk anymore... woah." Lori and Beth steadied the man. He tapped the crutches a few times on the ground before walking a little. "You know, I think I'm pretty steady."

"That's a good start." Rory smiled.

"Want to take a rest?" Lori asked, the man's eyes went wide.

"Rest?" He chuckled. "Let's go for a little stroll."

They made it outside, Glenn celebrating at the sight of the man up and out, causing a few of them to giggle at the man's excitement.

"You're doin great, daddy." Beth praised, walking beside her father. Rory grinned from beside Lori, the woman hugging the girl with a smile.

"Ready to race, Hershel?" Carl joked.

"Give me another day. I'll take you on." All was nice and quiet for a few seconds, before Carl cried out in a panic.

"Walkers! Look out!"

Rory swivelled and saw the small gathering of walking corpses coming right to them. Both her and Carl began shooting, Lori too as Beth and Hershel went for the stairs. Maggie came over to help too, grabbing both children and Lori following the three.

They got inside of the prison, getting constantly cut off by walkers. The three followed close behind Maggie before an alarm started bleeding through the halls. They stopped as Lori cried out.

"Somethings not right."

"What? Are you bit?" Carl panicked.

"No, I think the baby's coming." Lori breathed out, leaning against the walls.

"Mom?" Rory questioned as more walkers made their way to the little group. They began moving again, Rory and Carl taking the lead with their guns held high. They got backed into a room and they all crowded in, the kids blocking the door.

"What are those alarms?" Lori grunted.

"Don't worry about it." Maggie comforted.

"What if it attracts them?"

"Lori, let's lay you down." Maggie stuttered as the woman cried out in pain.

"No, the baby's coming now."

"We have to get back to our cell block and have Hershel help." Carl reasoned to his mother, Rory nodding along in agreement.

"We can't risk getting caught out there. Your gonna have to give birth to this baby here." Maggie observed shakily.

"Great." Lori panted, before breathing heavily.

"What's she doing? Can't she breathe?" Rory panicked.

"She's fine. Come here... let's get your pants off." Maggie instructed, helping the woman lay down.

"Okay." Lori agreed.

"You're gonna need to help deliver your brother or sister. You up for it?" Maggie nodded towards the two children, who meekly nodded back, squeezing each other's hands for a second.

"I'll do an exam. Let me see if your dilated."

"Do you know how?" Carl asked.

"Dad taught me, but trust me, it's my first time." Maggie breathed out. After a minute she let out a shaky breath. "I can't tell."