Chapter 41

After spending the night sleeping, Rory was feeling rather tired still. The group simultaneously aimed their guns to their left as they heard twigs snap, only for Daryl to walk out of the trees, holding two strings of dead squirrels. "We surrender." Daryl joked lightly, holding his hands up on mock defence.

Rory smiled slightly at the joke, putting her gun back into the holster. It turns out Carol had swiped her gun back from one of the store rooms back in Terminus. Rory thanked the woman, glad to see the gun her father had gotten her when she was younger.

The group began walking again as Daryl joined them, Rory and Carl walking side by side in silence. They both looked up as they heard a cry for help up ahead of them. Rory went to go forward, Daryl stopping the girl with a hand on her shoulder.

"Dad, come on." Carl pleaded, looking to his friend for a moment. "Come on! Come on." Rick nodded and Rory brushed off Daryl's protective hold and ran ahead with Carl as the group tailed behind them. As they got closer, Rory saw a man kicking walkers away from on top of a boulder.

Carl fired at the walkers as Rory threw her knives and stabbed the dead. Rick came up from beside her and grabbed a walker that was super close to her, she didn't even notice. She watched as Rick smashed its head against the boulder.

Rory stabbed another walker as the rest of the group killed the others. After checking quickly, Rick relaxed slightly when it was obvious there was no longer any more of the dead.

"We're clear. Keep watch." The group looked to the trembling man on top of the rock. "Come on down."

Rory watched as the man slid down, throwing up on the ground. Rory's face scrunched up in disgust as she walked over to Glenn, away from the vomiting man.

"Sorry." The man apologised, Rory squinted her eyes at the man. His mannerisms were quite unusual. The girl looked up to Glenn in confusion, the man only shrugging at the girl. "Thank you... I'm Gabriel."

"Do you have any weapons on you?" Rick asked Gabriel.

"Do I look like I have weapons?" The man chuckled.

"Does it look like the question was rhetorical?" Rory sassed, the man figeted before looking at Rick.

"I have no weapons of any kind. The word of god is the only protection in need."

"Sure didn't look like it." Daryl rasped.

"I called for help. Help came." Gabriel smiled. "Do you have... have any food? Whatever I... I had left, it just hit the ground."

Rory watched as Carl fumbled in his pocket before reaching his hand out to the stranger. "We got some pecans."

"Thank you." Gabriel smiled, taking the food from Carl gratefully. Judith began babbling in Tyreeses hold beside Rory.

"That's a beautiful child." Gabriel spoke. Rory stepped in front of her sister, hand on her gun, and levelled Gabriel with a death stare. When nobody spoke, Gabriel asked another question. "Do you have a camp?"

"No, do you?" Rick fired back, not missing a beat.

"I have a church."

"Hold your hands above your head." Rick scoffed, seemingly annoyed by the man infront of him. Gabriel did as told as Rick searched him. "How many walkers have you killed?" Gabriel stuttered nervously before he gave an answer.

"Not any, actually."

"Turn around." Rick didn't give him time to do so, as he forcibly turned the man around himself, continuing the search. "How many people have you killed?"