Chapter 37

"Hey there, sweet thing."

Rory glared at the men who stood infront of her, quickly scanning them. There were about six of them in total. Rory shuffled a little, tiredly, before glaring harsher at the man who spoke to her. She hadn't gotten any sleep the night before, too worked up about being on her own.

"That's not my name." Rory snarled, standing up from her position against the tree she was leaning on.

"Claimed." Another man called out, this caused the men to start bickering amongst themselves. Rory's eyebrows furrowed. What did that mean?

Sensing an obvious threat, Rory drew her gun, switching between aiming it at each man. The man that spoke to her laughed a little before he threw his hands up in mock defence.

"Now, now. There's no need for that." Rory just held her gun tighter before looking at the man who spoke second.

"Claimed." Rory started, shifting slightly. "What does that mean?" After a moment of silence and getting no answer, realisation hit her. "Wait, me? You ain't claiming shit, asshole!" Rory was not impressed in the slightest.

"What you gonna do about it?" One of the men laughed.

"I'll knock your teeth out." Rory sneered.

"Do it." He taunted, his smile turning smug as he stood I front of the girl. Typical. Men always think they know everything.

"Alright." Rory shrugged, and hit him in the face, hard.

There was more yelling and if she wasn't in this situation, Rory would have laughed at a group of men. The guy she punched was bleeding from the mouth... she did warn him. The first man approached Rory with his hands up as she trained her gun on him. Her right hand throbbing in turn with her leg.

"I'm Joe."

"I don't care."

"You're alone." The man stated. Rory didn't answer. "You could come along with us? We'll teach you our ways, help you if you need it... what do you say?"

"I have a group." Rory spoke sternly, the man, Joe, laughed.

"I don't see them." Rory faltered a little at that, hand hurting.

"You'll let me leave when I want?" Rory asked hesitantly, the man smiled. Maybe she should give them a chance. It would be easier to find her family with the help of other people after all... right?

"Sure."

"And— and I'm not yours..." Joe nodded his head, agreeing. He smirked as Rory lowered her gun. He knew the kid would be easy.

•••

"Now, I guess you'll be wanting an explanation?" Joe spoke as Rory walked behind him slightly. She looked to the man and nodded her head jerkily, still apprehensive.

"See, it's not that good going out alone these days... still, it's survival of the fittest. That's why I laid out some rules for the road. It keeps our merry band together and stress free." Joe explained. "All you gotta do is claim. That's how you mark your territory, your prey, your bed at night. One word, claimed."

"I ain't claiming shit."

•••

"So, what's your plan?" Joe asked.

"Lookin for my family." Rory spoke quickly, already tired of the questions she was getting. She was steadily regretting her decision of joining these men.

"Oh, we ain't good enough for you, huh?"

"You're not my family. And you're not exactly friendly. I don't know you." Rory huffed, tripping a little on a loose stone in her path. The girl shot a glare at a man behind her as he begun laughing.