𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐞

chapter three

chapter three . . .
terrors come true

When Rhaerys finally made it to the tournament being held— she'd been dressed in a long sleeved golden gown, with a high neck line. The dress had been covered in little beaded flowers upon the breastplate and laced back details.

The Valyrian steel necklace that she had been gifted from her uncle, hung around her neck beautifully.

Her long silver hair that usually was left to flow around her waist had been pulled back into a few woven braids and curls with a few tendrils framing her face.

Rhaerys could make out the sounds of roaring cheers from the crowds of people as she gathered her skirts up above her ankles to rush to her seat, ignoring her father's scolding look as he continued his speech.

"I know many of you have traveled long leagues to be at these games." His voice sounded as it carried through the wind into the ears of many.

"But I promise you will not be disappointed. When I look at the fine knights in these lists, I see a group without equal in our histories. And this great day has been made more auspicious by the news that I am happy to share, Queen Aemma has begun her labors!" He announced, sending the crowd into cheers once again.

"Where were you?" Rhaenyra whispered harshly to her sister.

"I'd been sleeping. Much needed rest, dear sister." Rhaerys replied as her face supported a grin that quickly fell as her sister's eyes turned from her and began to survey through the crowd of people.

Something was going to go terribly wrong, and Rhaerys could practically feel it deep within herself.

"May the luck of the Seven shine upon all combatants!" Viserys shouted as the crowd continued to cheer.

"A mystery knight?" Rhaenyra asked as she and her sister observed the knight who had once his first round. But his helmet covered his face wholly.

"No, a Cole, of the Stormlands." Alicent answered.

"I've never heard of House Cole." Rhaerys shrugged. "Lord Stokeworth's daughter is promised to that young Tarly squire." She added.

"Lord Massey's son?" Alicent questioned with surprise.

Humming in confirmation, Rhaerys's leaned her head upon her sister's shoulder, being hit with a sudden feeling of fatigue, she continued to indulge in the conversation. "They're to get married as soon as he wins his knighthood." She said, missing Rhaenyra's look of concern.