𝐢𝐯. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫

chapter four

chapter four . . .
the new heir

After her mother's passing, Rhaerys locked herself away in the company of her chambers alone.

She needed not to be apart of the commotion that took place outside of the safety of her four walls.

As Rhaerys rested on her bed, silent tears streamed from the corners of her eyes as she stared at the empty space in front of her rather blandly.

Rhaerys knew that her father had been called to a council meeting to discuss his successor.

She was brought out of her thoughts by the sound of knocking on her door. Without looking towards the door, Rhaerys called for the person to enter quietly.

"Rhaerys." Rhaenyra whispered at the sight of her sister. She had never seen Rhaerys so out of character.

Rhaerys was usually very chatty, she expressed her feelings and said everything that was on her mind. And now, Rhaerys had become a shell of a person.

"How are you?" Rhaenyra asked as she now stood in the empty space in front of Rhaerys.

Rhaerys hadn't even glanced up her sister, not once. It was as if she could not even hear her.

"I dreamt of her screams, and I did nothing to aid her." Rhaerys muttered to herself.

Rhaenyra wasn't sure if she'd heard her sister correctly.

"I dreamt of mother's dying screams, Father did nothing, he sat and watched her die." Rhaerys spoke more loudly as she sobbed whilst she reached out for her sister's palm.

Rhaenyra immediately grasped onto Rhaerys's palm and climbed into bed with her.

Rhaerys wrapped her arms around her sister tightly and began to sob into her shoulder. "He watched her die." She sobbed. Rhaenyra who could only hold onto her sister tightly as heavy tears poured from the both of their eyes, had an idea of what her sister meant.

Rhaenyra understood that Rhaerys hated the ways of royals, and she guessed that whatever happened in their mother's birthing room was their father's decision.

Rhaenyra loved her sister deeply, with all her heart and she'd do anything for her. Being there for her now was how she'd show it.

Later that evening, Rhaerys had been called from her chambers to meet with her father.