𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐨𝐫𝐝𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞𝐬

chapter eight

chapter eight . . .
order of the games

Sometime later, Rhaerys found herself wandering through the Red Keep.

"It bothers you, does it not?" A voice said, causing Rhaerys to jump in surprise.

Rhaerys turned to see the Princess Rhaenys sitting calmly.

"My father is a King." Rhaerys said simply. "It is his duty to take a new wife and strengthen his line." She added, seemingly trying to ignore what the Princess had been insinuating.

"I did not ask for a lesson in politics. I asked whether this bothers you." Rhaenys spat.

"Laena is your daughter, Princess. Does it bother you?" Rhaenys said with a louder tone.

"Of course, it does." Rhaenys spoke more softly after a moment. "But I understand the order of things. I'm not sure you do." She added.

"If you mean to elicit some anger from me, you should know that you are failing greatly, Princess." Rhaerys said softly as a small smile appeared upon her face.

"It's quite the opposite. Weather it's to my daughter or anyone else's, your father will remarry sooner than late. His new wife will produce new heirs, and chances are better than not that one of those will be male." Rhaenys explained. "And when that boy comes of age and your father has passed, the men of the realm will expect him to be heir, not you."She added as she held the gaze of Rhaerys. "Because that is the order of things." She added with a grin.

Rhaerys nodded her head. "I understand perfectly well on how the games go, Princess. You all are just rather stupidly blind to see the real importance of things." She said before turning on her heal gracefully as a smile appeared on her face.

Rhaerys knew how the games were played. She had been aware of it her whole life. She'd play, and she'd play well.

note: i've literally been breaking down episode two these last few chapters 😭 i'll finish the whole thing tmr. i need to catch up 🤦🏾‍♀️