𝐱𝐯𝐢. 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐞𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐠𝐞𝐚𝐧𝐭

chapter sixteen

chapter sixteen . . .
bloodied pageant

"This is so stupid." Rhaerys whispered harshly under her breath.

No matter what, Rhaerys would always protect and support her sister, even through the most upsetting things, which led her to be in her current situation.

Just because Rhaerys postponed being married, didn't mean that her father would allow Rhaenyra to continue being unmarried.

Their father sent them off to find Rhaenyra a suitable husband.

Watching countless of men, some too young, some too old, offer themselves and their house up on silver platters was just... stupid, Rhaerys thought.

As a man presented his son and the details of their house, Rhaerys fiddled with the necklace that her uncle had gotten her.

"... the wall Blackhaven are unscalable vassalstone. And the castle is surrounded by a deep, dry moat. It is well fortified against any Dornish incursions." He added with a chuckle. "And though my seat may be lesser in size, it is situated most pleasingly." He stopped and cleared his throat excessively before stepping off to pour himself a glass of wine.

Rhaerys and Ser Criston made awkward eye contact over Rhaenyra's head at the man's actions before they smiled amusingly.

Rhaerys watched her sister fiddle with her rings as she sat. Sighing, Rhaerys was ready to return home.

"The view across the Marches is inspiring..." The man begun once again as he settled back in his place. "So said Queen Alysanne herself when she honored my father and I—"

"And tell me, Lord Dondarrion," Rhaenyra suddenly spoke. "Did you think my great-grandmother as beautiful as they say?" She asked leaving the man slightly puzzled.

"This was half a century ago, Princess." The old man stuttered.

"Yes, it was." Rhaerys added with a false smile and a nod of her head, sending the men and women in the room into a laughing fit, Rhaenyra coughing as she tried to cover up the sounds of her laugher.

"That was unseemly, Princess." The man who had been seated next to Rhaenyra said. This man has accompanied the Princesses and Ser Cole on their journey.

"The man is older than my father." Rhaenyra spat through gritted teeth. "It's unseemly for him to put himself forward as a contender for my hand." She added angrily.

Nodding, the man then called for the next suitor to step forward.

Rhaerys felt herself wanting to whither away at her sister's tone of voice, she felt responsible for this entire affair that'd been taking place. If only she'd not delayed her own marriage, maybe Rhaenyra would not have to go through all of this.

The next to step forward, was yet but a young boy, leaving Rhaenyra with a gaping mouth and Rhaerys wide eyed.

"And now a child." Rhaerys sighed.

"The Blackwoods are an ancient house with a formidable army. In the Riverland's, they once ruled as kings. The blood of the First Men still flows in their veins." The man informed.

Wordless, Rhaenyra nodded.

"Go on." The man told the boy.

"My Princess..." He started nervously. "Ours is a bond that has long endured, since Lucas Blackwood, the grandsire of my grandsire, aided the Dragon in his war of conquest—."

"Aye, the Blackwoods truly turned the title on that one." A nearby man said, sending the crowd into laughter.

Ignoring the man, the boy continued. "Coursed with the blood of the First Men, our history deeply rooted in this land, which your house had made its home. If chosen as your match, Princess... your days shall be easy and nights safe under my protection." The boy stated firmly.

"Protection? The Princess has a dragon, you dumb cunt." The same man from the crowd spoke once again, the people laughing.

"I could learn to like that one." Rhaenyra chuckled.

Rhaerys however, could not find the matter funny, she found it quite rude how everyone teased the boy who clearly was strong for his small size. Everyone looked at him due to his physical appearance. But, Rhaerys saw him.

"Let us have the next so we may go to supper." Rhaenyra sighed.

The boy turned hot on his heels to leave.

"Craven." The man spoke again for the third time, causing the boy the draw his sword, him doing the same.

Rhaerys decended the steps from behind her sister's seat and sat herself onto the steps as she watched the scene unfold.

"We're leaving." Rhaenyra stated as she pushed herself onto her feet and began to leave, Ser Criston in tow.

"Why, dear sister? The fun is only beginning." Rhaerys said with a sigh as she leaned her head onto her palm.

"Sheathe that steel, you twats!" Their travel companion shouted at the two who's swords were drawn at one another.

"Princess." Ser Criston called to Rhaerys.

Rhaerys rolled her eyes as she stood to her feet and began to follow them out of the commotion.

"Send word to the harbor and have Captain Oswin ready the ship." Rhaenyra instructed Ser Criston.

"Princess, we're due in Bitterbridge in three days' time." Ser Criston said with furrowed brows.

"I would happily row myself back to King's Landing if it brought an end to this ridiculous pageant." Rhaerys stated as she looked back at the sounds of gasps.

The small young boy had driven his sword straight through the older man. She smirked at this.

"Don't look, Princess." Ser Criston said as she shielded the view from their eyes before they took their leave.