𝐱𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐩𝐞𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

chapter thirty- three

chapter thirty- three . . .
petitions

The sound of Otto Hightower's voice rang throughout the court room.

"Though it is the great hope of this court that Lord Corlys Velaryon survive his wounds, we gather here with the grim task of dealing with the succession of Driftmark. As Hand, I speak with the King's voice on this and all other matters." He said before taking a seat on the Iron Throne. "The crown will now hear the petitions. Ser Vaemond of House Velaryon."

Vaemond stepped forward. "My Queen. My Lord Hand. The history of our noble houses extends beyond the Seven Kingdoms to the days of Old Valyria. For as long as House Targaryen has ruled the skies, House Velaryon has ruled the seas. When the Doom fell on Valyria, our houses became the last of their kind. Our forebearers came to this new land, knowing that we're they to fail, it would mean the end of their bloodlines and their name. I have spent my entire life on Driftmark defending my brother's seat. I am Lord Corlys' closest kim, his own blood. The true, unimpeachable blood of House Velaryon runs through my veins."

Vaemond continued for a while longer before it was Rhaenyra's turn to speak.

Rhaerys latched onto her sister's palm and gave a squeeze of encouragement.

"Princess Rhaenyra, you may now speak for your son, Lucerys Velaryon." Otto said.

"If i am to grace this farce with some answer, I will start by reminding the court that nearly twenty years ago, in this very—" Rhaenyra whirled around to face the door at the sound of its opening.

"King Viserys of House Targaryen, the First of His Name, King of the Andals, and the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protecter of the Realm."

Rhaerys smiled as her father made his way to his throne.

The room was silent as they watched their King.

"I will sit the throne today." Viserys said as he stood by Otto.

"Your Grace."

Viserys had begun to stumble and a member of the King's guard came to help.

"I will be fine. I will be fine." Viserys said as he refused the man's help.

As he continued to stumble a bit, his crown fell from his head and he stopped in his steps.

Daemon joined his side at grabbed his crown from the floor.

"I said i'm fine." Viserys said as he turned and paused at the sight of his brother.

"Come on." Dameon whispered. "Steady." He added as he helped Viserys the rest of his way before placing his crown upon his head.

"I must... admit... my confusion." Viserys spoke to the court. "I do not understand why petitions are being heard over a settled succession. The only one present... who might offer keener insight into Lord Corlys' wishes is the Princess Rhaenys."

"Indeed, Your Grace." Rhaenys spoke before taking a stand in front of the throne. "It was ever my husband's will that Driftmark pass through Ser Laenor to his trueborn son... Lucerys Velaryon. His mind never changed. Nor did my support of him. As a matter of fact, the Princess Rhaenyra has just informed me of her desire to marry her sons Jace and Luke to Lord Corlys, granddaughters, Baela and Rhaena. A proposal to which i heartily agree."

"Well.... the matter is settled." Viserys said. "Again. I nearby reaffirm Prince Lucerys of House Velaryon as heir to Driftmark, the Driftwood Throne, and the next Lord of the Tides."

"You break law... and centuries of tradition to install your daughter as heir." Vaemond said. "Yet you dare tell me... who deserves to inherit the name Velaryon. No. I will not allow it."

"Allow it?" Viserys asked. "Do not forget yourself, Vaemond."

"That is no true Velaryon, and certainly no nephew of mine." Vaemond shouted as he pointed as Luke.

"Go to your chambers." Rhaenyra said to her son. "You have said enough." She said to Vaemond.

"Lucerys is my trueborn grandson." Viserys said. "And you... are no more than the second son of Driftmark.

"You... may run your house as you see fit... but you will not decide the future of mine. My house survived the Doom and a thousand tribulations besides." Vaemond said angrily. "And gods be damned... I will not see it ended on the account of this—"

"Say it." Rhaerys whispered softly.

"Her children... are bastards!" Vaemond yelled.

Viserys stood from his throne.

Rhaenyra's children shook with rage.

Rhaerys grasped onto Daemond's hand.

"And she... is... a whore."

The crowd gasped.

"I... will have your tongue for that." Viserys growled as he unsheathed his dagger.

The crowd gasped and flinched as Vaemond Velaryon's head was taken by Daemon.

"He can keep his tongue." Dameon said as he rested his weight against Dark Sister.

"Disarm him!" Otto shouted and the King's guard pointed their swords at Daemon.

"No need." Daemon said as he wiped his sword and walked away.

Viserys groaned before falling into his throne and began to breath heavily.

"Call the maesters!"Alicent shouted as she ran up the steps to the throne.

"Father?" Rhaenyra and Rhaerys asked with concern.

Viserys was rushed away immediately.