𝐱𝐱. 𝐥𝐢𝐞𝐬

chapter twenty

chapter twenty . . .
lies

The next morning, Rhaerys dreaded the day to come. She dreamt how it'd play out.

Word would get out to her father of her night. Not from Ser Harwin, but the informant that lord Otto Hightower had placed in the brothel.

She noticed, and yet she did nothing about it. Her actions would have consequences. She knew that for a fact.

Once she was up and dressed for the day, she stepped outside to enjoy the morning air, only to see the queen Alicent.

She knew the conversation to come. And she simply would not engage in it.

With a sigh Rhaerys spoke. "What I do in my free time should be no concern to you and your father, Lady Alicent."

Alicent opened her mouth in shock as Rhaerys rounded her and continued on her way.

Rhaerys knew that Alicent had been thinking that she and Dameon slept together. When they had done nothing of the sort. She remained a maiden.

Rhaerys spent the day locked away in her chambers, reading. Still searching for answers on her dragon, when she was called to see her father.

The room was empty when she arrived.

Rhaerys was observing the room when she came across a dagger, she reached to touch it when he father's voice reached her ears, causing her to jump away.

"That dagger once belong to Aegon the Conqueror." Viserys said. "It was Aaenar's before that. And before that it is difficult to know."

"It's a beautiful dagger." Rhaerys whispered as she watched her father.

"It is." Her father agreed. "Before Aegon's death, the last of the Valyrian pyromancers hid his song in the steel." He said as he held the dagger over the fire.

Rhaeys furrowed her brows as she held the knife. "From my blood... come the Prince That Was Promised... and his will be the Song of Ice and Fire."

"The responsibility I have handed to you, the burden of this knowledge... it is larger than the throne, the king." Viserys said. "It is larger than you and your desires." He added, causing Rhaerys to fix her father with a stare.

"Jaehaerys would've disinherited you." Viserys said as he sheathed the dagger.

Rhaerys didn't wait a moment to respond. "For a lie?" She questioned. "You've yet to ask me for the truth of what happened." She stated.

"The truth does not matter, Rhaerys." Viserys spoke with a raise of his voice. "Only perception. You have exposed yourself. Now we both must suffer the consequences."

"Were I born a man I could bed whomever I wanted." Rhaerys said with a shrug of her shoulders before sitting in a seat. "I could father a dozen bastards, and no one in your court would blink an eye."

"You are right..." Viserys smiled. "But you were born a woman." He added firmly.

"So you'll strip me of my titles and name Aegon in my stead." Rhaerys said.

"I would." Viserys stated. "But it is mine to hold the realm together, not sow it with further division. Your sister's courtship is at an end." Viserys said.

Rhaerys had not envisioned this. And she was overwhelmed with the feeling of guilt.

"Because of your circumstance in your dreaming matters, your sister will wed Ser Laenor Velaryon, and you will agree without protest." He said.

Rhaerys' eyes filled with tears at this. "Have you told her of this?" She asked.

"She has been informed."

"As for you, you will be sent on your tour after the wedding." Viserys said.

"What tour, father?" Rhaerys asked as she let out a sob.

"To find your dragon." Viserys said before leaving the room. In his reality, he wanted his daughter far away from his brother as possible.

Rhaerys sobbed as she made her way to her sister's chambers. Knocking on her doors, she stepped inside when she was told to come in.

Rhaerys sighed at the sight of her sister curled up in her bed. She then walked to her bed and curled herself behind her sister in an embrace.

"I'm sorry, this is all my fault." Rhaerys cried.

"It's not." Rhaenyra sighed as she turned to face her sister and hugged her back.

"It is, if I hadn't let him drag me there, none of this would be happening." Rhaerys said firmly, grimacing at the memory of her uncle's lips on her own.

"This might very well be my own curse from the gods." Rhaenyra sighed. "I've slept with Ser Criston."

"I know." Rhaerys grimaced once more before she erupted into laughter.

"And how would you know that?" Rhaenyra gasped.

"Do not worry, sister. I won't tell a soul." Rhaerys sighed as she rested her head on her sister's shoulder, falling asleep rather quickly, leaving Rhaenyra astonished.