Chapter 4: Reveal to Me the Darkest You

IV.

Trigger Warning: Mention of Self Harm

Lauren spent two more desperate minutes of texting, calling and hoping that Camila would return before realizing she was going to have to take matters into her own hands. Not knowing how far away her friend could possibly be, Lauren stood, then decided she would retrieve her jacket and shoes before unlocking Brady's storage shed and seating herself on one of the smaller green boats. She then began to scrawl across the water, squinting at the banks for signs of her roommate.

Nerves fluttered in Lauren's stomach as she meandered down the rivers. She had never really rowed before, but in a small recreation boat, the ins and outs of steering weren't exactly rocket science. It was the thought that she could at any time fall to her murky death that made her stomach churn with worry. The fact that in the moment, Lauren was desperately wishing her body would work with her rather than against her, was just an added bonus.

Her left hand was pressed awkwardly to the corresponding left oar due to the cut, and she had to hunch carefully to avoid pressure on her ribs, but despite that, the sound of the paddles in the water was like magic in such a quiet environment.

About three minutes in, Lauren breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Camila's familiar form walking briskly along the path, kicking at the ground as she went. She looked upset, and it didn't help Lauren's nerves. As she slowly drifted up next to her, Lauren willed the boat to slow by digging the oar into the water against her movements.

"Hey." She said calmly, lifting the oars out of the water and resting them on the ledge of the boat. Camila hadn't seen her coming from such an awkward angle, and she didn't want to startle her. Lauren then leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees.

When Camila heard her voice, she looked up in surprise. "Lauren?" She stopped walking as the girl drifted towards her. "You promised me you weren't going to move." She spoke, stepping down the bank and stopping when she was at the water's edge. A few people jogged by, a couple of them giving the girls interested looks.

"And you told me you were just going to be outside." She countered, her voice kind. When Camila didn't move, Lauren shuffled over to the side of the craft. "Get in."

"Wait." Camila placed her hands on her hips with a frown. "I thought you hated being on the water?"

"Yeah, that's why I said get in." Lauren thread her fingers through her dark hair nervously. "I'm literally about ten seconds from pissing myself in fear, so I'm going to need you."

Camila chuckled, taking a few steps closer to the water while Lauren stood to extend her arm, palm up. "Give me your hand." She said as the girl looked down at her hand with hesitation. "And take your time, we don't need you falling again." When the Cuban pulled her own hands from her pocket, she took hold of the tree branch before her instead of Lauren's offering.

"Camila, let me help you." Lauren insisted, gripping her arm to steady her as she stepped into the boat. "I'm not going to bite."

Camila was silent as she stumbled slightly and pressed against Lauren's body for support. She felt the girl tense against her in pain, and she pulled away. "I'm sorry." Camila murmured. "Shit, did I hurt you?"

"I'm alright." Lauren smiled softly, sitting down and waiting as Camila took her own seat across from her. When they were both comfortable, she took the oars in her hands once more and pushed off from the bank, moving smoothly to the middle of the river and turning to the boat to make her way back to the main building.

"How did you know to come find me?" Camila asked as she played with her fingers.

"I waited for a while." Lauren replied as they saw the familiar expanse of water come into view once more. "I was getting worried because you weren't coming back and I knew Brady kept the keys to the storage in the front desk drawer." When they were back in the familiar area, Lauren stopped, letting the boat glide soundlessly through the water. "You're lucky there are things going on right now, because Central Park at night isn't always the safest place to be."