Chapter 25: I Wanted Words

XXV.

Camila's body was sinking like a rock, her gut only seconds from hurling all over her mother's' pristinely dry-cleaned living room carpet. Looking up and taking a slow, laboured breath in, she spoke.

"That's not true."

Dan had a look of pure shame on his face. "It's true. He told me before he told Mom. I was only fifteen or sixteen when he did, and it was just before he left." He laced his fingers together. "He actually ran the idea by me first, thinking that I had the same attitude towards Mom's pregnancy as he did. I don't know what it was Camila, but the idea of another child disgusted him. Even more so the idea... of another daughter."

"That can't be true...I can't believe it." Camila got to her feet, her eyes flashing. "You've got to be lying...that can't be true."

Not an inch of Camila was able to receive the news and process it as the truth. It may have been because she had been lied to her entire life. It may have been because she was so used to running away from any conflict that presented itself to her. For all she knew it may have been because she was Latina, and she had such a hot head that believing anything without proof was difficult. But she couldn't believe it. She wouldn't let herself believe it. No father in the world would dare forcefully request an abortion of their third child.

"I swear to you Camila, I'm telling you the truth."

'Why...?" Camila felt tears rush to her eyes. "Why would he do something like that? What on earth would posses him to even think about a proposition like that?"

Dan sighed. "Dad was sick a long time before he left." He explained. "Whether the idea was actually him talking, or just something up in his head... Mom didn't care. She insisted that an abortion wasn't going to happen, it wasn't in the cards." He ran his hands through his hair, an act that displayed his visible stress. "But... in the end it wasn't her choice to kick him out of the house. The choice...-"

"The choice was his, I know." Dan was cut off by Camila, and he closed his mouth with a nod.

"I just can't believe it." Camila's head dropped into her hands. "I can't let myself believe something like that." While the worst of the storm occurred, she had just sat back and been completely oblivious. If it hadn't been for fate, there would have been a chance that Sofi may not even have existed.

"Believe me or not, that's up to you... but that's not the end."

"I don't want to hear any more." Camila swung around to look at him angrily. "I can't... if the rest of it is things like that, then I never... ever want to know."

Dan got to his feet as well, his hands in his pockets.

"I have a suggestion."

"What is it?"

"You don't need to believe me, because you know I'm not trustworthy, and I understand that. But I know that there's someone you will believe."

"Who?"

"Dad."

Camila stopped, her body freezing from head to toe. "Dad?" She asked softly. "You... you want me to hear it from Dad?"

"I know where he is." Daniel said. "I was lying before, because I wasn't sure if it was information that I was supposed to share, but I don't want to hide anything from you anymore. I know where Dad is, and it would only take us a few hours to get there. We would be back in time to see Mom and Sofi return tonight."

Camila sat down, her hands shaking. "Oh god Dan... I don't know if I can do that." She looked up. "Where... where is he now?"

"He lives alone in a small one story home not far from here. Again, it's just a few hours."