Chapter 12: Camila My Darling, Lauren My Dear

XII. 

"It is nothing shy of a blessing to be granted a time in our lives in which we are able to make a pivotal change. A chance to better ourselves, to breed something new, and to make of us something more beautiful that we were before. I'm ready for love. And I'm ready for you."

Lauren sat dumbfounded on the floor of her bedroom, staring at the sheer number of suitcases she had managed to haul from Miami to New York. It was good to be back, and although she swore frostbite had made a home on her cheeks the moment she stepped off the plane, it felt invigorating to get into the action once more. A new year meant a series of new resolutions, and one more prominent than the rest. Lauren swore to herself that before they got too far into the semester, she would either pull Normani's proverbial parachute, or bring out the trampoline.

Bidding farewell to her family was never easy, but Lauren had made herself a seasoned veteran. Having a warm, supportive household of girls by her side made it considerably easier.

Warm and supportive for the most part.

"Hey loser!" Lauren yanked the earphones from her ears as Dinah's voice echoed down into her room. "It's me, are you decent?"

"Yeah." Lauren stood, padding up the first set of steps to look at her roommate. "What's up?"

"Normani's home, and she got her car stuck in the entrance to the driveway. She was wondering if you could come and see if we can collectively push it out— or in I guess."

Lauren frowned. "Wait, what did she do?"

"Lauren my dear, I know it's been a while since you did any learning, but I just said Normani got her car stuck in the driveway. Is there really any better way to describe it? Just come and take a look." Dinah gestured for Lauren to emerge to the upstairs, then waited for her to pull on her boots and grab her blue - black ski jacket that had been sitting draped over the handle of the powder room door. When they both stepped outside, it was made quite clear to Lauren what Dinah had been talking about.

As per every holiday spent out of the house, the grumpy next door neighbour refused to shovel the girls' property, resulting in the snow plows going to town on the division of the driveway from the street. Normani had tried to drive over the massive snowbank, and her car had only made it about three quarters of the way up before getting completely stuck. When taking in account the wind, the blowing snow, and the fact that the sun was long gone, Lauren was able to deduce that this wasn't going to be a very fun first night back.

Lauren marched right up to Normani's front window, letting her knuckles rap on the glass with impatience. She hadn't seen the girl yet; Dinah and Ally had picked her up from the airport, while Normani had to head over and take the extra step in retrieving her car.

"Hey Lauren!" Normani gave her roommate a little wave, then a nervous smile. She rolled the window down just enough so her voice could be heard. "Happy New Year...?"

"Mani, how the fuck did this happen?" Lauren replied, not even addressing the half question, half proclamation. "You've completely bottomed out this hunk of scrap metal!"

"I thought the snow was soft!" Normani pouted, curling her lip up at the girl. "It's not my fault. And for the love of god, quit being mean to my car. She's my baby!"

Lauren tossed her hands up in the air. "Yes, because we've been away for three weeks, no one's shovelled the driveway, and it's been a constant blizzard since Christmas. The snow is totally going to be soft!"

"Don't you yell at me!"

"This is a free country, I can yell at you if I want to!"

"Okay, cut it out!." Dinah's mitts muffled Lauren's face, and she turned her head briskly, sputtering out a few stray pieces of wool from her mouth. "Listen up bitches. Ally's gone to pick up Camila from the airport. It's freezing out here, and all I want to do is go inside and watch the new season of Orange is the New Black. Can we please quit yelling at each other and push this damn car either in or out?"