Chapter 10: Shots Fired

X. 

Lauren: Hey, we just finished our last exam, on our way home. Where are you?

Dinah: You're finally done! I just got to work, I need to be here until closing tonight which sucks – tell camila I'll meet the two of you there

"I'm going to make some of this, do you feel like lemon or raspberry?" Camila was holding two boxes of tea in front of her, and comparing the ingredients.

"Either." Lauren mumbled from where she lay face-first on the couch with her head in her arms. As thrilled as she was to have her final exam done, the previous night of cramming had taken a lot of the energy out of her.

"So what are you going to wear to Ariana's tonight?" Camila spoke from the kitchen, filling up a pot of water and setting it on the stove.

Lauren propped herself up on her elbows. "Oh yeah... about that. I don't think I'm going to go tonight Camz, I'm sorry."

Lauren had committed to attending Ariana's semester-end party earlier that week, but with her cold coming on, combined with raw exhaustion from all the studying, she really wasn't in much of a party mood. Also the fact that she was terribly nervous for Camila made a significant contribution to her choice. She didn't want to be there to watch her pine over Ariana. She hadn't even gone to the open mic night, and knew it was already enough.

"Wait." Camila dropped what she was doing and walked to the middle of the living room. "Are you seriously not going?"

"I'm not feeling great." Lauren buried her head back into her arms, not wanting to deal with Camila's understandable incredulity. "I still need to pack for tomorrow, and I'm not really down to drink tonight."

"Fine." Camila abandoned the water on the stove and began to make her way upstairs. "Whatever."

Lauren groaned to herself, getting to her feet and jogging after her roommate. With Ally and Normani already on a flight to Houston, and Dinah at work, the two were the only ones home – which meant every second spent in awkward silence was a second too many.

"I'm sorry Camila." Lauren didn't even ask to enter before following the girl into her room. "I know I told you I would do this, I'm just..."

"Tired?" Camila turned around as her eyes flashed. "Yeah. I know."

"Are you seriously mad at me right now?"

Camila sighed. "I just don't know what's wrong. I mean first you didn't want me to come with you to Central Park, then open mic night, the nightmares, and now you're cancelling again? What happened? Are you trying to avoid me? Did I do something wrong? Because if I did, I'm sorry."

"It's nothing like that." Lauren replied quickly, an air of desperation running through her voice. "I'm just..."

"Tired." Camila finished her sentence again, without a moment of hesitation. She looked up slowly. "All I wanted was one more night where we could just have a good time. I want to see Ariana, I want to hang out with Dinah, and most of all, I want you there... but if you would rather sit alone in an empty house, then fine. Do what you want. All I wanted was to make all this weird stuff that's been going on with you just go away for a night."

"Camila, that's not fair." Lauren's voice lowered an octave as she shook her head. "Come on, you know you're not being fair."

"Why are you avoiding me?" Camila's arms folded against her chest. She wasn't even going to address the fairness of the situation. She was going to get straight to the point, even if it ended up killing her.