Chapter 22: Where Your Loyalties Lie

XXII. 

Lauren looked over at the man. He looked nothing like his sisters, his hair so blonde it almost glittered, and eyes nearly as bright as her own. He couldn't have been much older then the two of them, a few years, give or take a few months.

But this was it. This was Dan. The one who had ditched the family who had already lost so much for nothing but drugs, alcohol and a life on the run. The one who had burdened Camila for far more of the girl's childhood than she had ever deserved.

Lauren felt anger in her chest, an anger that was rising along with the innate need to wrap her arms around her girlfriend and crush her into a hug. She would have, although there seemed to be something far more pressing about the situation. Something in Camila's expression was wrong.

"Camila, I need you to say something. Right now. Look at me Camz." Lauren cupped Camila's face, the skin of her palms providing a warmth against the other girl's freezing cold cheeks. There had only been one other time where Lauren had seen the girl like this, and that was on the floor of a random teenage boy's bedroom in nothing but a bra and underwear.

It was starting to scare her, but she had to spin around and call out to Riley. The dog receded on her command, and backed away so she sat just at Camila's feet. No matter what Lauren said to her, the puppy would not stop growling.

"That sounds like a great idea Sofi." Dan said, looking over at the younger girl with a gentle smile. He was just shaking the dog fur off his arms. Luckily Riley hadn't gotten too close to him before her teeth went snapping. "I'm sure you're right, thank you for looking out for her."

"Sofi, come now, let's go give her a quick walk." Sinu stepped around the teenagers and ushered her daughter towards the door. "I believe these two need to have a little bit of a conversation."

The second the door to the house closed, Camila's eyes darkened and her voice was nothing but a snarl.

"I want you out of this house."

Dan looked at her, confusion etched onto his face. "What...?"

"You don't get to come back here after all these years, appear with your goddamn dog, manipulate my sister and suckle on whatever residual affection Mom had for you!" Camila exploded. "Get out of my face, get away from this family, and don't you dare ever, ever step foot back in this house again!"

"Camila, I need you to stop, please just calm down."

"Calm down? Are you serious right now?" Camila's eyes flew wide. "I don't care what your reasons are, I don't want to hear anything you have to say, just get out!"

Dan ran one hand through his hair, pulling it back out of his face momentarily before it fell back in place. "Camila please." He took a step forward, and like a whip cracking, Lauren had fixed herself between the siblings. Dan frowned. "Who are you?"

"The reason you're not getting any closer to her." Lauren said, her voice low. "So back away slowly, or I'll back you away myself."

"Okay, look." He had his hands up in front of him, signalling a loose surrender to the situation. "Would you please just listen to me? I'm not going to hurt either of you, I promise."

"Promise?" Camila spat, taking Lauren's arm and moving her out of the way gently. "And what exactly does the word promise mean to you?"

Dan's fingers went through his hair a second time. "Look, I know that showing up here like this probably wasn't the best idea, but if you could just let me explain myself..."

"You're not explaining anything, because I'm not letting you." Camila spun on her heel, storming towards the front door with Riley on her heels. "If you're not going to leave, then I am." She yanked the door open seconds later, slamming it behind her.