Chapter 21: Bonds

XXI. 

"All I want is for you to listen to me! I want you to consider my side of this story! I want you to hear me out!"

"I hear you loud and clear! This is not an option! I will not do this to my family!"

Camila was bundled at the bottom of the stairs. The young girl was listening frantically as the voices in the kitchen grew louder, and full of even more hatred. She was terrified; the entire night had just unraveled before her, and there wasn't anything she could have done to prevent it.

"Camila, you need to come upstairs with me right now." She felt a hand on her arm, pulling her towards the stairs. She looked behind her, seeing her brother staring at her with concern in his eyes. She didn't move, and was pulled at again. "Please Camila, we can't be down here anymore, and you really shouldn't have to hear this. Please come upstairs to my room."

"What's going on Dan?" Camila asked nervously. Her voice was shaky. "What's happening with Mom and Dad?"

It was evening. The sun had just sunk behind the water, and only a few lights in the house were left on. The voices in the kitchen belonged to both her mother and father. They had started earlier that day when her father had returned from work without even as much as a hello to his children. Her sleeve was tugged on again, harder this time. "Camila now." Dan pleaded a second time. "Let's go upstairs."

The girl followed her brother up to the second floor, his hands pushing her briskly to set a quick pace. They both barrelled into the nearest bedroom, and the older boy slammed the door closed behind him. Camila whirled around, panic rising in her chest.

"What's going on, please tell me." The younger girl pleaded. "Please Dan."

Dan had his ear pressed up against the door, his brow furrowed and eyes slightly hidden under his shaggy brown hair. "You need to be quiet for a moment Mila. Just give me a second."

Their parents had been fighting a lot. And a lot was an understatement. Over the past few weeks, the family had been disintegrating to petty arguments in the mornings and tense silence during dinners. The endless yelling and screaming between the two parents was becoming too much of a burden for their children, and it didn't help that Camila wasn't ever told anything.

"Why is there so much screaming?" Camila tried as second time. "Why are Mom and Dad acting this way? I know you know, you have to tell me."

"I..." Dan pulled away from the door, stepping towards his sister. "I don't know Camila. I'm so sorry, but I know that everything's going to be okay. You'll see."

"I'll see what?" Camila threw her arms up frustrated. "You talked to Dad the other day, I know he told you something. Stop lying to me!"

"Mila, relax. Come on, you really need to relax right now." Dan placed both hands on his sister's shoulders, sitting her down in the large beanbag chair that was positioned so it sat just in front of his TV. He turned her, waiting until her shoulders lowered and grabbed the remote, flicking it on to the first kid-friendly channel he could find. "Just try not to think about it right now, okay?" He asked her gently. "Focus on the TV, look, Spongebob is on right now, you love this show."

"I—" Camila curled her legs up to her chest. "I guess."

"I need you to focus on the things that are on the screen." Dan cranked up the volume, drowning out any sound that could still be heard from downstairs. The boy then grabbed the blanket from his bed and wrapped her up in it. "Don't look away from the TV, alright? I don't want you to listen to any of that. You shouldn't have to hear them, this is not your fight, and it's definitely not your fault."