44: What should I do?

Akashi's pov

" Adira, can you still hear me?" I ask, a lump in my throat.

"...yes" She hoarsely replied, not opening her eyes to respond.

"Shintaro and his parents are on their way, okay?" I say, almost as though I'm trying to reassure myself and not her.

"...okay" she manages to say, laying pretty limp in the seat.

I'm kneeling by the passenger seat that Adira has nearly passed out in. The kind stranger that pulled up behind us, currently stands behind me, phone at hand.

"I think we should try to stop the bleeding." the man suggests. He seemed to be in his late twenties, dressed in loungewear and a black cap. Everything about the man is sketchy, but it is wrong to stereotype people.

"Yes, that's a good idea. Have you got any bandages? Or a first aid kit?" I ask, knowing that my car won't have any, seeing as it was a brand new car that I hadn't touched yet.

"I can check but I doubt I do, my car was about to be serviced so I had to empty most of it, but let me check!" He says. Empty car as well, eh?

The stranger moves towards his car and opens the boot. I notice him dig through his trunk before eventually closing it and returning empty handed.

"I'm sorry, but it seems I don't have anything." He says. Why did he rummage through his boot when he just said he emptied the whole car for servicing? Something wasn't right about this man.

Maybe I was overreacting and assuming things, but my anxiety started to rise with every moment he lingered behind me.

I wasn't in the right mindset to do anything right now, Adira was bleeding out in front of me, just like my confidence was.

"It's fine, I'll use the fabric of my shirt instead." I should find a way to get rid of this man.

I start to tear off the bottom of my shirt to use as a bandage for Adira, keeping the man in the corner of my eye with every moment.

"So you were heading to the car services?" I ask as I start to wrap the fabric around Adira's head.

"Ah, yeah, I was, but don't worry, this is definitely more important than getting my car serviced." he chuckles lightly.

"What's wrong with your car?" I enquire.

"Oh someone broke my lights at the back." he answers, moving to lean on the bonnet of my car, able to see my expressions fully now.

"How did that happen?" I had an idea of how it could've happened but I prayed that it wasn't the reason.

"They pushed it out of the socket from inside the boot, I think." He said, a small smirk on his face as he turned his head to look at mine.

(a/n: in case you are unfamiliar with what I'm referring to- when someone is kidnapped and hypothetically locked in the boot, there is a way they can push one of the back lights out and put their hand through the hole to wave and alert any drivers behind the vehicle they are in! Therefore, I am indirectly implying this man is a kidnapper.)

No. I hoped it wouldn't be that reason. I made sure to keep a poker face. As soon as I show realisation, we'll be his next victim.

"Oh that's terrible, how much will it cost to repair?" I say, trying to swiftly move on without making it obvious.

"Well I know someone who's gonna fix it for free for me." he gloats.

"How lucky are you!" I add, making sure to keep my gaze on Adira, watching the man from the corner of my eye.