Precautions and Progress 1

The Mage paced the steps of Augus' foyer, frowning.

'This is already very well warded,' the Mage said finally. He was a tall, stiff creature whose eyes were black and compound beneath his eyelids. His dragonfly wings fluttered every now and then, stirring a breeze. He wasn't a dragonfly shapeshifter, but one of the rare bro'das, keeper of insects and flight. In particular, however, he was the best Mage that Augus could source on short-notice to deal with permissions and wards in his house.

'I need to be certain that I am protected from incursion,' Augus said, glad that Gwyn was shut away in a soundproofed room for now.

It wasn't hard to do. Gwyn hadn't actually seemed to want to leave the bedroom once he'd been given it. Perhaps he was afraid it would disappear. Augus hadn't mentioned his encounter to Efnisien to either of them, just yet. First things first – best to make sure the permissions were An Fnwy proof before he did anything else.

'I also want the option to eject unwanted or unwelcome fae from my territory, should they arrive. It is not enough that they cannot come in without my permission. I need to know they will not be hovering in my foyer or on my porch to ambush me.'

The Mage's eyes glittered curiously, but he didn't press. Mages were paid for confidentiality as much as their magic. Eventually he smoothed hands down his blue motley and paced the boundaries again.

'It's sophisticated magic. I may need half a day to set it. I can lock it to a stone or other charm that is keyed to your energy signature. That way, instead of telling me who you wish ejected from the boundary, you can squeeze the stone and will it yourself.'

'Is it permanent?'

'In a sense. To reverse it, you must be the one to grant them permission to access any of your territory. I assume you don't want them hovering above your lake either? We'll extend a perimeter that is sensitive to incursion; if you can afford that. And then we'll make sure that anyone who is not welcome, cannot cross into your territory at all.'

'That would be very welcome,' Augus said. It was better than he'd hoped. He had a terrible image of Efnisien turning up on his doorstep and just not leaving.

After all, Augus welcomed newcomers to his home – those in need – and so he had an unusually open home territory, especially for an underfae. All fae were welcome to turn up on his doorstep, just as he was welcome to turn them away.

But for Court fae beloved of the Oak King, he wanted more oomph. Thankfully, years of seeing high profile clients and keeping their secrets for them, had put him in a financially advantageous position. Even so...

Mages were expensive. This consultation alone had cost several uncut gems. None of that would count towards the magic itself.

Augus questioned his own sanity as he'd looked through a list of Master Mages he'd acquired. What was he doing? Wouldn't it be easier to just turn Gwyn loose and never think of him again?

But he was fascinated by recent events; and – it occurred to him – it might be good to have this sort of perimeter magic set up anyway. Just because unwanted guests hadn't often crossed his path in the past, didn't mean they wouldn't in the future.

'Let's negotiate the finer details, as well as price, inside,' the Mage said finally, and Augus nodded. 'Do not worry yourself. Despite the sophistication of the magic required, you have paid for good Magecraft in the past, and that makes it much easier to build upon. Nothing but the best, yes?'

'Yes,' Augus said, inviting the Mage into his home and wondering how much he'd have by way of funding after all of this was done.

Ah, well, it isn't as though you were using the wealth for anything else.