Chapter 4: You and Me

Summary: fighting is just porn with a little more injury
————————————————————————

"Hey, Baku... look at me. You here? Need some water?"

Water...?

Too much genuine concern wavered in Camie's voice.

Yeah, I definitely need something to quench this thirst.

"I- Yeah, I'll get some." He swallowed, throat dry. It had been Camie's words that brought him back to the moment, again, and he was beginning to realize that this was somewhat of a problem. Getting so flustered from this little of an interaction wasn't a good sign, not if he was going to have to channel his focus into a fight.

"I can grab some for you, honey. Just try and relax, okay?" She reached out to him, only to have her worried touch shrugged away.

"I'm fine." Katsuki ran a hand through his hair, not meeting her eyes. "I'll just grab a drink and step outside for a minute. Be back in five."

I need to focus. I can't let him see me be weak. I'm going to be his partner someday, and I can't- I can't fail him now.

Camie reached out again, this time grabbing his wrist. "You can talk to me if you need to, okay? I don't wanna see you all over the place like this, babe."

God, shut up. Not in the mood for this right now.

"I said, it's fine." Katsuki grit his teeth. "I'm fine. Just give me a few minutes."

Katsuki got to his feet, stomach churning. He'd do something about this before it was too late. It was a few steps to the water cooler, a few more seconds to fill up a paper cup, and ten more feet to the exit. Easy. Simple. His legs folded beneath him almost automatically, right into an casual cross-legged position on the budding grass.

Breathe. Just breathe.

Water came up to meet dry lips, and he turned his focus towards the feeling of it trickling down his throat. Easy. Simple.

It's gonna be okay. I'm just anxious about this fight, but it's gonna be okay.

Another sip.

I'll show him my strength. My power.

One more, and he drained the cup.

I'll show him just how worthy I am.

The cup was set on the ground as he felt himself finally, finally move to a better mental place.

"He's fast... he's strong." He mumbled, just barely more than a whisper. "I know how he fights, so... I gotta watch out for anything up close. Can't afford close combat, no... the air pressure travels a distance, but no more than twenty feet or so. It's still mid-range. Maybe if Camie brings out an illusion or two we can stall, at least. If we throw the dumbass out there, he might get hit... It would use up the one big discharge he has, but if I can get in while Deku's paralyzed we might be able to work it out. Hm..."

So wrapped up in his thoughts, Katsuki didn't notice someone else come up until she was sitting right by his side.

"Hey, Bakugou..." Yaoyorozu started, and he couldn't help but roll his eyes.

"If Camie sent you here, get out." He hissed. "I told her I'd be back in a couple-"

"Actually, if you bothered to hear me out, you may be inclined to give me an answer." She sighed. "I'll just get to the point. You keep acting odd around Valiant. Could... well, would it be too much trouble to ask what exactly Valiant is to you?" She paused, pulling her knees to her chest. "If it's too much, it's fine, but—"