Chapter 35: Media Management for Dummies

Don't open my phone yet...?

There was something different in Deku's voice—something raw, something worried, something—god, maybe even panicked. But now, his phone was burning a hole in his pocket, and Katsuki wasn't sure he wanted to look after just hearing that ominous tone.

"Deku, what's—"

"We're getting off at a different stop," Deku said, clearly trying to keep himself as calm as possible. "U.A.'s going to be safer for you, even if it's a bit further away than Ochako and Kirishima's place. Do you have a jacket? A hat? I guess it's good that it's raining because not as many people will be out, so—"

"What the hell is going on!?"

For as much as Deku's rambling was starting to freak him out, nothing was worse than the utter silence that followed.

"Everything... e-everything's gonna be okay," his boyfriend finally said, less convincing than Katsuki had ever heard him before. "I'll take care of it, it's fine, s'just—fuck, I-I..."

Wait... no, don't tell me...

"Th-This just speeds things up a little! I-I mean, I was gonna give it another day or two, but I guess we can just take care of it now, s-so..."

Katsuki swallowed back the cold, awful nerves eating at his stomach, and pulled out his phone as Deku kept rambling, rambling on. The cell service was shitty as hell, but after a moment or two of waiting for whatever it was to load—texts, calls, notifications—it spasmed in his hand, message after message after message still flooding in.

...you're kidding me, right?

Deku might've made some sort of panicked warning sound. Might've tried to stop him, tried to tell him not to open it, tried to do something, anything bar grabbing the phone from his hand himself.

"Kacchan, it's..."

Katsuki didn't hear whatever it was he said next. All he could do was stare—stare, stare, stare and hope that he was still napping, that this was some sort of cruel nightmare instead of cold, bitter reality.

This is... oh, god, this is...

But looking back at him from every link his friends and acquaintances had sent him, looking at the emails U.A.'s staff had sent him only conjured up the same image and same headline over and over again.

"...at. At the train station this morning." His mouth went dry, each word lead in his throat. "I-I didn't think... I mean, you only kissed me for a couple seconds, it—it shouldn't have..."

The grainy photo in front of him told no lies, though. Bleak skies, gray concrete, low light—and yet, there was no way it could be anything but—

Us. Together. Kissing.

 Kissing