28

Lacey ended up pulling up to the daycare after work, to see Jay's matte Ram in front of her. She smiled a little and walked in, heading for the back infant rooms to pick up her baby.

"How's Hail?" she asked as she caught Jay leaving.

"Home and grumpy. Very grumpy," Jay sighed, setting the car seat on the floor.

"What did you do?" Lacey asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I won't let her work. And she can't get comfortable and sleep,"

"Well. Then I'd be grumpy too. In fact, I'd be grumpy just living with your ass,"

"Yeah, thanks. I'll remember that next time you need a sitter," Jay replied, letting a little chuckle out.

"You know your wife is my best friend right? I'll go right over you're head," she pointed out, keeping her arms crossed.

"You know you're like 5'4 right? I could throw you over my head," he retorted, getting a laugh out of Lacey.

"Okay. Okay. You win. In all seriousness, get her that dish she likes from Greektown. You'll be her favorite,"

"I thought I already was. Ya know she married me,"

"I think you should go get that dish and take your son home," Lacey chuckled, playfully punching his shoulder.

"Yeah. Yeah. Love you,"

"Love you too," Lacey grinned, going to pick Lyla up and then Riley.

——————

"Riley stop running in the house!" Lacey sighed, looking at her phone for the thousandth time. Ryan was taking his sergeants exam and all she wanted to know was the results. She was attempting to keep herself busy, making Ryan's favorite dinner in hopes they'd be celebrating when he got home.

"Mama fisey?" Riley asked, pulling on the fabric of her jeans. 

"Go pick up your toys and I'll get you some fishies," the mother sighed, watching the pigtails of the little girl bounce as she ran.

Lacey sighed and poured some goldfish into Riley's snack container as well as some apple juice into a sippy cup, taking it to the living room. She turned on a new episode of "Sophia the First" and went back to making dinner. Lyla was in her swing, sleeping away as they all waited.

Lacey's phone rang on the counter, her answering without looking "How'd it go?"

"How'd what go?" Hailey asked on the other side of the line.

"Sorry. Didn't look. Thought it was Ryan. What's up?"

"That's why I was calling. He home?"

"Not yet. How long is this supposed to take?" Lacey asked, cleaning a pan that she wasn't using now.

"Longer than detectives," Hailey sighed, "what are you doing?"

"Dishes. Anything I can to pass time, you wanna talk to Ri? She's been asking for you,"

"Yeah, let me talk to her,"