47

Jay was getting closer to the truck when he saw the explosion happen. It took him right back to pushing himself off the pavement and turning around to see Hailey laying still on the ground. He didn't know if anyone had gotten hurt but he looked around to see where everyone was when he got out of his truck.

"Everyone okay?" He asked, rushing to the side of the truck where mostly everyone was.

"I think," One of the patrol officers nodded.

"Everyone accounted for?"

"Us and the driver. There were 2 other cops but I don't know where they went,"

"Thanks," Jay nodded, "Kev?! Lacey?!" He yelled, walking around until he found Kevin.

"I can't find Lacey,"

"Where was she when it happened?" Jay asked, immediately worried for his sister.

"She was right beside me and ran back. She was right by the truck," Kevin answered, walking around urgently to locate their officer.

"Jay!" Adam yelled, from a completely different area than they were looking in, "She's over here!"

Both Kevin and Jay rushed to where Adam and Kim had pulled up and found Lacey in a heap on the concrete.

"Don't move her," Jay told them, even though they all knew not to. "Lace you awake? talk to me,"

All he got in response was incoherent moans from her while Adam was radioing for an ambulance. He tried keeping her awake as best he could but it didn't last long before everything went black again.

——————

"What the hell happened?" Hailey asked, carrying Camden in.

"Truck exploded, sent her flying. Kinda like you did," Jay told her, scrolling through his phone to Ryan's contact.

"Is she okay?"

"Definitely broke a few bones. Probably a concussion. I couldn't get much out of her," he said as he hit the call button and put the phone to his ear.

"Hello," Ryan answered, sitting at his desk for once.

"Ryan. Listen,"

"What happened?" He asked, knowing the way Jay was speaking that something had happened to his wife.

"Explosion. She got thrown forward. All we know is that she has a concussion, broke her wrist, and a few ribs. They're fixing her up now,"

"Was she awake? Talking?" He asked, grabbing his things and heading to the truck.

"She moaned a few times but I couldn't get any words out of her,"

"Alright. I'm on my way," he sighed, hanging up his phone and rushing for Chicago Med.

As soon as he got there, he found the team easily, looking to them for any updates.

"Just surgery to fix the wrist. They probably don't even have her put out. Just numbed,"

"So she'll probably be high on meds," he chuckled, "Which was hilarious when she got her wisdom teeth out but not at this point. How long has it been?"