32

TRIGGER WARNING: Miscarriage.
If you've ever gone through one, I'm so incredibly sorry. I can't imagine it. I have a few friends that have experienced them and it's been heavy on my mind lately.
October is also Infant loss/Pregnancy loss awareness month.
You are NOT alone and it was NOT your fault ❤️
My DMs are always open for anyone that needs to talk❤️

——————

Lacey got to work the next morning, setting her stuff down at her desk as she glanced at the empty office.

"Jay, you haven't moved anything?"

"I'm not going to," he said as he looked up, shocking Lacey.

"Why not? You're gonna be the boss,"

"I don't want the office. I'd rather be out here,"

Lacey smiled, sitting at her desk and getting her computer up and ready. They had a ton of paperwork to finish from the bust and she was going to get a jump on it.

They worked a ton through the day when Lacey was getting a little on edge with the cramping going on in her stomach and the pain in her lower back. She'd started getting a little nauseous, and at that point needed to lie down for a little bit.

"Jay, can I borrow your office?"

"It's not my office," he told her, making Lacey roll her eyes as she opened the door and went inside. She laid down on the couch and tried to sleep, succeeding at her goal.

"She sleeping in there?" Jay asked Hailey about a half hour later.

"She didn't look so great when she went in," Hailey answered, not looking up from the papers she was shuffling.

"I'm gonna go check on her," he said, getting up and heading to the unused office, but backed out when he saw her sleeping.

"She okay?"

"Asleep. Not like her," he sighed, pulling his phone out to text Ryan.

Jay: Hey, has Lacey seemed off to you lately?

Ryan: not that I've noticed, why?

Jay: she went into the office and fell asleep. Just doesn't usually do that, wondered if you noticed.

Ryan: Ri had a pretty rough night. We were both up a lot so she's probably just tired.

Jay: Okay, makes sense. Thanks.

Ryan: Yeah. Keep me updated

"Okay, Ryan said that they just had a rough night with Riley so she's probably just tired," Jay told Hailey as he set his phone back on the desk. Hailey nodded, continuing to shuffle through the papers in the file.

——————

Both Hailey and Jay checked in on Lacey several times while she slept for a few hours.

When Lacey finally woke up, she was hit with awful pain. She squeezed her eyes shut as she forced herself to sit up and take a deep breath. She slowly got up and walked out of the office, hoping the pain would calm down and she could get back to work.