Side story /1/

Nora Conner never existed, though not in a real way. She's human and her heart is still beating. Her family gave all their love to her little brother, Alex. Her family always prioritized men more than women. They owned a big company and therefore always needed a successor. No one in the family would ever want a vulnerable and fragile woman to stand at the top and lead the company. So, she was just a burden in their eyes... or a tool to make more money by getting her to get married to another rich man. 

That was what they were doing. Marrying Nora off to an unknown person. It was announced today, at the family dinner, where they talked about how the business was growing well. Nora was getting treated as air as usual. 

Even so, she still thought that she lived a better life than most other girls in the world. She lived in a better house, had high-quality education, and had unlimited money to spend. Though her family would say mean things to her, she has never been hit. She had no complaints about living this life.

Until the day she was told that she was going to get married to a 70-year-old man. She just graduated college a few weeks ago. How was that even possible?

Finally, she realized how cold and uncaring than ever her family was.  Nothing she said changed their thought. They were all concerned about money and nothing else. A human's lifetime, was not inside their eyes. 

Without a second thought, she escaped the cruel family. Ran out of the mansion with as much cash as she can hold. In the rain, she ran nonstop. Every turn she made, every puddle she splashed, she didn't care. Didn't know where she was going, she stopped at the nearby trash can and threw the phone inside. You never know if it has a tracker.

She sighs as she let the rain wash her clean. 

All these years, she endured. Endured how her mother would always compare her to her brother, her father looking at her as if she was a tool for the money. It was planned from the very start. Just like animals raised to get eaten, she was raised to get sold. 

"Hah..."

A dried laugh escaped her mouth. What is a family if there's no love in it? 

Soon, she found a hotel and stayed there to dry herself up.  She had a degree in economics so she could at least get a decent job. Without her phone around her, she went down to the registration counter and asked if she could borrow a phone. The staff gladly gave her a phone and she dialogued a few numbers. 

"Hey."

She stated and waited for the person across the phone to respond. 

"Hey? Your first ever reply in a few months is hey!? What am I to you seriously!!"

A loud voice rang inside Nora's ears so she quickly got the phone far away from her. 

"I'm sorry. Um, I want you to help me with something."

"What is it?"

"Actually..."

Nora told her everything that happened and the girl across the phone raged.

"The f*ck is your family doing!? That son of a b*tches. I'm gonna go kill those sh*ts!! Wait and see you motherf*ckers."

That's... a lot of swear words. 

It seemed that Nora's best friend never changed. Even the part where she swears a lot when she's mad without consciousness. 

"Come to my house."

That was something Nora didn't expect her best friend to say. 

"No, Ray, I can't bother you so much."

She declined.

"What, just come. I'm super super duper lonely without you."

Nora's mouth curved upwards. Indeed, she was thankful to have a friend to support her in a time like this. Her feelings started to warm up. 

They talked seriously for a while and with a goodbye, she hang up the phone. Feeling warmer than ever, Nora was in a better mood than before. 

Without noticing, she bumped into someone in front of her while walking. She gasped and apologized before looking up to see who it was. It was a tall man, who looked a little older than her. His eyes were cold as ice, but when he saw her, the ice in his eyes cracked.

Nora stared at the man but the man just stood there, stunned. It was getting kind of awkward so she decided to put up a smile and quietly leave the man. 

After getting back to her hotel room, she flopped on her bed and stared at the ceiling. 

Her parents would look for her no matter what. If she got found out, she would be dragged back to the engagement she don't even want. That, absolutely cannot happen. The best for her is to get out of the city as soon as possible and if she had the time and money, get out of the country and settle in somewhere more peaceful. 

She can stay at Ray's house for a while but she can't stay there forever. 

Though for today, she would get in bed and sleep. Her muscles were too tired from walking and her heart was too broken from how her family treated her. 

CONTINUED →...