Chapter 8: "I Just Want Us to Stay Friends"

When I woke up the next morning, I was confused by my surroundings, blinking my eyes as I took in the bright room. I sat up in the bed with a light blue cover, recognizing the bay window to my right. I cautiously got up after checking the time, which was around eight in the morning. I was still in my clothes from the previous evening, including Camila's old shirt. I hesitantly opened the door before sneaking to the kitchen, about having a heart attack when Leo was already there, sipping coffee.

"Hey. How are you feeling," he wondered, pressing his lips together before licking the liquid off them.

"I'm feeling fine, normal," I clarified, slowly walking over to where he was. "Where's Camila? Is she mad that I stayed the night?"

"She never found out. I didn't tell her, and she already left for her work."

I nodded weakly before sitting on one of the black barstools. "Why didn't you just take me back to my hotel?"

"I know you said you would be fine, but I wanted to make sure. You don't have a hangover or anything?" He stood to wash out his mug in the sink, me shaking my head.

"No, I feel pretty refreshed actually. I think I slept better here than my own hotel room." I almost laughed, but his serious expression stopped me.

"Do you remember what happened last night?"

"Yeah," I answered, pursing my lips together as I gave him an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry again about that. I don't know what came over me." I ran my fingers through my hair, my bangs falling back onto my forehead.

"It's okay," he slightly nodded, bringing over a fresh, red mug of steaming coffee.

"Thanks," I told him, waiting until it cooled to drink it. "I know you said we were cool last night, but are we really? You seem different today," I noted.

"We're still good, Sabrina. Last night was just a close call. If Camila had found out you were here..."

"Why? Has she been talking about me?" I swallowed a tiny bit of my beverage as he lifted his head.

"She's been suspicious. I assured her we're just friends, but my explanations are starting to not be enough for her."

"Do you want me to get out of your life? You know, so you can work things out with her."

He eventually shook his head as he chewed his bottom lip. "No. I don't want you to go. It's not your fault that she's never around, that we haven't had quality time in awhile."

"I'm sorry," I quietly said.

"It's alright. So, how much longer are you going to be out in L.A.?"

"I leave next week. My role was pretty small in the movie, so they've almost gotten everything they need for it."

He barely nodded as sad tension filled the air, me blinking back a few tears at the thought of leaving him.

"The week's almost over now," he observed.

"Yeah, it is," I reluctantly admitted.

"Maybe it's better if we say goodbye now. I'm not upset with you, but I don't want to jeopardize my relationship with Camila."

"I understand." I think my voice sounded more broken than I intended though. "I'm going to miss you."

I looked up to find his misty, azure eyes, him forcing a depressing smile. "I'm going to miss you too. You're welcome to spend the day here first though."

"Okay, but maybe we should avoid alcohol."

"Good idea," he warmly smiled, but it was soon gone as we headed for the living room.