(17) "Burning Bridges"

Ajani Powell

"So you saying my lil gyal won't have a normal life, ever?" My father asked as I glanced down at me feet kicking them back and forth awkwardly. I didn't like when people talked like I wasn't in the room.

"I'm not saying that but what I am saying is for the time being the medication that we are prescribing limits her from doing certain things, so we could give her a heart transplant but that could take months to years to find a donor but she is on the donor list" he said and I closed my eyes.

"So I'm gonna die?" I questioned with a shaky voice as tears began to fall. My mother pulled me into her telling me it wasn't true but that's all I was hearing.

"No I can guarantee you aren't going to die. This isn't fatal people think it is because of the words heart failure but you can live a semi full and happy life just limited on doing things. Us operating is completely up to you and your parents but you don't have to you can continue on with medication like you've been doing just no over exerting yourself" the doctor smiled.

"Do you want the surgery?" My father asked me growing teary eyed. I rubbed my eyes and thought about it, sometimes transplants could be rejected and I'll still be in the same situation.

"Yes, but I'm scared" I sniffled and the doctor gave a small smile before leaving to get paperwork. My mom kissed my forehead as I rested on her shoulder.

"Why couldn't both of our kids of been just healthy, this isn't fair that they have to suffer" My mom sighed.

My father took a seat in a chairs and pulled my arm so I'd stand. He made me sit in his lap and he rested his head against my chest listening to the irregular heartbeat.

"This my karma for all the bad. Our kids are fine just a lil different but everybody has differences" he reminded her and I smiled.

"I like doing school at home anyway" I said and they both laughed. It was true though I liked being In the comfort of my own home, I got to be with my mom and ate whatever I wanted for lunch, Johan was missing out.

When the doctor returned he talked to my parents a little while longer before he gave them prescriptions for medication and we left.

My fathers work phone started to ring and he answered it as we got into different cars so my mom could go pick up Johan and my father volunteered to take me dress shopping. I glanced down at my phone seeing a message from Kaine.

3:22pm K 🙈😊 - I'll switch with you, you can have my good heart ❤️ and I'll take the broken one 💔 😔.

3:26pm Me - Thank you I'll be okay 😷😊

He remained engrossed in his conversation and I spent the time playing with the radio trying to find something good to listen too.

3:30pm K 🙈😊 - I'm wearing a suspenders with a bow and without the jacket. The dress shirt is white 👌

3:30pm Me - Okay 👍

When we got to the mall I forced my father into the dress store and he frowned going in reluctantly. I was feeling better already from my doctors appointment after seeing all of the dresses.

"Get whatever you want gyal" he said looking around and I was greeted by one of the older woman who worked in the store. She got my size before directing me towards a bunch of dresses in my size and ones that could be changed.

My eyes landed on this beautiful white dress and I made the lady take it down I was in complete love with it. It strapped in the back resembling an X and I knew my father couldn't deny it was appropriate.