𝐗𝐈; 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐧𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐨𝐥

At first glance, this might have looked like a quiet lunch between a young man and three adults, while they had a leisurely conversation regarding Liyue's latest happenings.

But it wasn't, in fact it was the opposite.

Childe was glaring at you with his sapphire eyes full of suspicion and, as if that wasn't enough, you were staring fearfully at Zhongli, taking consideration of the feeling that was begging you not to awaken the dormant beast.

"-In years past, Liyue's tradition was that a huge memorial service be held to mark the passing of every adeptus. But this time, the Qixing have made no attempt whatsoever to respect this tradition. It is sacrilege"

You pursed your lips to prevent yourself from answering him. Yes, it was sacrilege, but the death of an adeptus hadn't happened for centuries or longer.

Plus, I can't really blame the Qixing since the assassination of a god is more unique than rare.

"Well, they do have a decision to deal with..."Aether said thoughtlessly.

"Yeah, the killer hasn't even been caught yet" agreed Paimon.

"Deicide or not, the concern of the Wangsheng Funeral Parlor is this: When the ritual to receive this god is so kingly, it is all the more egregious for his final send-off to go unattended to." Zhongli paused briefly. "Aether, Childe has told me a lot about you. Since you have had dealings with the Anemo Archon, could I ask you to help me prepare the Geo Archon's last rites?"

"Childe says too much" said Aether, eyeing the man in question with an impassive expression. You bit your tongue as you tried to not chuckle.

"Oh? In our line of work, that means you want to silence me... How interesting. Draw your sword. We shall- " you gave him an icy stare, ensuring that he saw it. A shiver ran down his spine as he tried to change the subject. "Just kidding. Let's continue, shall we? The Tianquan, Ningguang, has forbidden anyone from accessing Rex Lapis' vessel... Which of course you would need to access if you are to achieve your goal of meeting all of The Seven"

"Precisely" the man, who probably was the elder, acquiesced. "Only by participating in the Rite of Parting will you be able to see the form of Rex Lapis again".

Aether let out a resigned sigh. "Looks like there's no other choice"

"If we are agreed, come with me. We will speak of the details as we walk" Zhongli spoke with his relaxed tone.

Was I seriously scared of someone like him?

​​​​​"Alright, my bridge-building work here is done. Turned out well, didn't it? You can go if you want to, don't worry about me. I might just have a few more drinks... and get acquainted with these things they call 'chopsticks' in the meantime" the Harbringer chirped.

Aether's gaze fell on you."What about you?" he spoke with a concerned expression.

You shook your head. "I'd rather, stay here if you don't mind." I have to make sure a certain someone doesn't pull any tricks, after all.

"Do as you wish," he stated simply before heading towards the restaurant's exit with Zhongli.

After the two left a tense silence fell on the room.

"You seem troubled" you tried to break the ice, you asked with a hint of amusement after obseerving the man as he struggled using his chopsticks.

The man sighed. "I've been to Liyue many times but I still can' t use them" he explained with probably a sincere smile.

You hummed in assent. "Need some help?" you tried to hold back a broad smile.

"Nah, I'll learn- probably" he whisperd the last word in in what seemed shame.

"Ah I see, it isn't easy to use them after all," you took some rice from your bowl with a graceful motion.

"You seem to be familiar with Liyue's customs"

"I grew up here, actually"

"Really?" he glanced through you. "Aren't you in the Ordo Favonio?"

"Y- Wait, what?" you looked at him in astonishment as soon as you registered the meaning of his words.

"The cameo," he replied innocently as his eyes land on your brooch. "That's the symbol of the Knights, isn't it?"

Shit.

(A/N): ​​​​so uh... I changed several things in the plot of this fanfic. Plus, my father forbade me to write during the school year so updates will be less regular.
But don't worry, I still have a few chapters to post. Plus... yk, there's always a way for avoiding rules✨✨✨✨