Interlude: On a Moonlit Night

Pant. Pant. Pant.

The child glanced behind her, only to be able to see hilichurls chasing after them.

They kept running, clutching the toy as if their life depended on it. They curved harshly, paying attention to not hit the bamboo plants.

You quickened your pace, your heartbeat so loud that it was pounding in your eardrums.

The monster's footsteps were close. Too close.

You stopped your track, noticing that the terrain was interrupted by a cliff overlooking the river of Qingce. You studied the moonlit stream at the foot of the cliff.

There was no way out. One side of the shore was blocked by several boulders, while on the other side the vegetation was intrapassable. As for the river, you didn't know whenever you could trust it. Adults often warned children not to get too close to the water.

You shivered. Am I going to die here?

You felt cold tears running down your skin. There was no escape, huh?

A wind, swift and mighty, arrived without any warning.

You snapped your eyes open, alarmed by the sudden yelps of the Hilichurs and the unexpected metallic scent.

"Don't look," ordered a voice harsh as the edge of a knife.

At this she obeyed, letting the darkness engulf her sight.

The sounds of battle gradually disappeared, leaving their place to a religious silence.

But in the silence, the strange scent continued to increase.

The man whispered something you didn't catch

"I.... I thank you," you murmured in a trembling voice; your breath irregular as the air surrounding you suddenly became heavy.

But the adeptus did not reply. Instead, his golden eyes just studied you.

How could such a fragile mortal possess both a blessing and a curse?

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

​​​​​​As years went by, you noticed that he seemed to be inexistent, almost like a ghost. No matter whom you asked or where you went, not a single person knew a single fragment abou him. Nor he ever tried to tell you about himself. But on the other hand, you did even know his name.

"When will you stop sneaking out of your house?" sternly asked the adeptus to the now preadolescent girl.

"Gyaah- Where did you come from!?" you exclaimed, turning abruptly towards Xiao. "You're going to give me a heart attack!"

"Don't make too much noise, or you'll end up attracting hilichurls," he admonished you. "Don't be foolish. You can't die of a heart attack at your age"

You pouted. "Gee sorry," then you turned your attention to the starry firmament. "Oh! It's here!" your eyes lit up as soon as they saw an astro.

You pointed to the sky. " That' s my constellation, the lotus one. I don't remember its meaning but the flower symbolises purity."

But apparently none had told you of its other meanings.

"That' s what an astrologer said in the Lantern Rite, tho..."

"That foolish tradition, huh?"

You looked visibly offended at that one. "But it's pretty! Especially in the release of the lanterns..."

He huffed. " It's only humans discarding lanterns into the sea. How can one find it appealing?" he rhetorically asked, leaving you speachless. "And besides, I do not enjoy such crowdy atmosphere".

The silence was now so deep that one could hear the crickets chirping far away.

Now it was your turn to huff. "Sir, I'm afraid you're going to die of lonliness"

It was quiet once again.

"...the fact that you adressed to me as 'sir' doesn't give you the permission to insult me"

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

You heard someone call your name. "Are you sure you want to do this?" you looked at the person you had once naively called mother. "That's your father's heritage..."

You sighed. "I have no other choice, do I? After all, I am incapable of continuing his business. Plus the Fatui aren't the most patient." You looked at the lifeless gem. "The only option is to sell it."

"But you can't give away a Vision-" insisted your nanny.

"If it is kept there in a frame it will be useless, won't it?" You removed it from the wall. "Plus they're pretty valuable in the market..."

Slowly, you removed the glass from the frame. You took the Vision in your hand, taking it away from the velvet that exalted it.

The Vision shone with an emerald colour and cast a seal that resembled the bud of a flower.

"I... you must be kidding me"

You hated the Gods for the first time.