𝐗𝐈𝐗; 𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐚𝐭𝐚𝐧 𝐏𝐲𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐚

Weak daylight filtered trough the office windows as the sound of muffled birdsongs could be heard from outside. These melodies, however, did not help easing the headache you had from the previous night's hangover.

You closed the door, reluctantly walking towards the wooden desk as if trying to gain the strength to face the new day ahead. You placed the banquet on the table, being careful to not ruin it as the sun bathed those delicate white flowers with its rays.

Maybe it wasn't a good idea to bring someone's Windblume here, you mused. Those flowers possessed a rare, glamorous, beauty. Something that would not be unnoticed by one's eyes.

You took a quick glance to the pile of paper that was already sitting on the Grand Master's desk, before taking a mental note to drop by Flora. She might have known something about them.

But you already knew what her answer would have been.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

"My, those flowers are gorgeous" commented Lisa, her emerald eyes clouded by wonder. "Who sent them?"

"How come this is the first thing you ask me and not who they are for?"

She let out a low chuckle.  "Now now, you're the only person who's been here for days, aren't you?". Hearing your silence, she smirked. "Don't tell me you're underestimating me that much, little one"

"I would never" you replied with an embarrassed smile. "What are these about, anyway?" you inquired, eyeing the pile of documents she delivered earlier and that were now forgotten.

Her facade broke for a moment, revealing a veil of slight disappointment. "Don't avoid my question, little one" there was something in her words, perhaps the way she suddenly spoke them so coldly and seriously, that made you look at her with concern. "Or I will be offended" 

You let out a sigh. "It's anonymous" you  gave in "whoever sent it made sure to don't leave any hint"

In her eyes, you saw a scintilla of curiosity. "Oh my, a secret admirer?" she mused out loud "this surely make things way more interesting". With all of these unforeseeable remarks,  you were starting to wish to be everywhere but there. "What's with that expression? Don't tell me that this doesn't spark your interest"

"I want to know who sent them, yet..." yet if they found out I let myself be this close to someone, they'd use it against me. But it was decided from the beginning, wasn't it? You smiled bitterly, swallowing back the unspoken words that were starting to pierce through your throat from the inside.

"Any idea of who it might be?" Lisa inquired, making no effort in covering the intrigued lilt of her voice. "Diluc, perhaps? I heard that the two of you are pretty close, aren't you?"

"He... He doesn't look like the to gift something like that"

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

You walked, offering a fleeing glance to the vendors as you relished your freedom from the librarian's prattle, having opted to entertain you for most part of the day.

You wandered aimlessly through the market, trying to cross that sea of people as merchants loudly called out the crowd. Every year, Mondstadt hosted during the Windblume Festival a marketplace, attracting wandering vendors and merchants chasing after fortune. Perhaps even your father took part in a similar event, in an age when he was still unaware of the debt and how it would've later become your burden.

"My, aren't you one with an interesting fate?" 

You jolted, hearing an unfamiliar voice. "Huh?" 

The owner of that voice chuckled. "Do not fret, an old lady like me couldn't hurt a fly". You gazed at the person that spoke. She had a foreign attire, her clothes so worn from travelling that they looked like a felt. There was something about her that reminded you of that arcane man you met at the Cathedral.

She seemed to be looking at you expectantly, her eyes clouded by blindness.

You frowned. "...What?"

"Your future is peculiar" she repeated as her eyes gazed somewhere in the darkness that enveloped her vision. A blind fortune teller. According to a common belief, those who lost their sight could  receive from the Gods an eye that could foretell the future.

"I'm not interested, my apologies" you replied with nonchalance, walking away from the fortune teller. The last thing you wanted  was to entertain yourself with a scammer.

"I belive that you're aware that you're not a mediator but a puppet in someone's hands" she spoke. An ironic grin formed on her lips, countering the rigidness of her voice

Your gaze hardened. "You-" in your voice there was something mingled with surprise and wrath. "What do you think you know about me?"

"More than you think," she smiled. In her eyes, or perhaps in the way she spoke, there was something sinister. Something that foretold a pernicious omen. "Your past, your future, even those memories that have now fallen into oblivion.... I know everything about these"

You glared at her with a  cold skepticism pooling in your eyes. "Do you want me to prove it?" she asked, as if she read throught your silence. 

You nodded, before vocalizing your order "Go ahead" 

She sighed "Still stubburn, huh?" she muttured to herself "I can't elighten your past, since it's your duty to unreveal it. However, I can give you a glimpse of your future"

The words she  then spoke paralysed you. The imminent future began to suffocate you.  "You will be killed by an harbinger of change"

You didn't reply. 

No matter how many times you tried, the words did not leave your mouth, instead they tangled inside your larynx before forming a knot that couldn't be untied. 

You didn't speak.

You couldn't speak, as if under a spell. 

Maybe you really were under a spell, a thought emerged as he fortune teller wore a satisfied smile.

"And here I thought you had at least a shred of dignity" a firm voice, brimming with sarcasm intruded. Her smile disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. "Didn't fortune tellers also have a rule about not revealing someone's future?"

Saying that the fortune teller was pale as a rag would've been an understatement. An expression between fear and surprise painted the features of the aforementioned woman, as her lower lip miserably trembled. "Hah, and to think that you would've shown up..." a laugh left her lips "You really have some guts, Dainsleif"

"Seems like you're still the same" —he spoke her name.