𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈; 𝐍𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐄𝐧𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐞𝐫

During its long existence the Grandmaster's office had seen people from all ages and walks of life: travelers from faraway lands, several generations of Mondstatd's locals, heroes whose names were between legends and history...

However none of these figures were as bizarre as the child standing a few steps away from your desk.

"You too??" Klee whined as you apologetically smiled. "Klee will be suuuper bored!" she protested with a pout. Maybe it had been your imagination but you swore you saw her ears flatten.

You didn't know how you ended up in this situation. In a morning like any other the office's door had been slammed open by the effervescent Spark Knight. Once interrogated for the cause of her break-in, Klee apologized (you pretended to not notice her obvious mischievous grin) and explained that since most of the adults she knew weren't at hand she decided to see you, hoping that you would've be her playmate.

You looked at the child in front of you, trying to not show the dilemma you were facing. While you were honored that Klee considered you her friend, such as to invite you to his shenanigans, you were also aware that she often used you to avoid or al least sweeten Jean's groundings.

That kid was smart but if she used her intelligence in anything but explosives she would've made your and the other knights' life easier.

Now, however, you had to hurry up and choose between your co-workers' patience and their workload before she used the letal weapon for adult's morality— also known as puppy eyes.

Too tried to come up with an agreement that granted both Klee's entertainment and Mond's safety from a terrorist attack, you gave up. "We'll play together next time, I promise"

She walked towards the desk, closing her hand in a fist but leaving her little finger out. "Pinkie promise?"

You looked at Klee with confusion as you wrapped your little finger with hers. Was it a new children's game?

Klee beamed at your puzzled expressions. "Paimon says that if you break a promise you will freeze in ice!"

Your smile froze as you mumbled an 'i see', trying to not show any response at that macabre rhyme. However, much to your relief your mistress and savior Lisa came to your aid, taking Klee away before you had to repeat your excuse for the sixth time.

You let out a sigh of relief, listening to Klee's bubbly voice getting away as the office's grandfather clock struck midday. You walked away from the room, opting to take a break before your shift ended at two.

Seized with boredom at having finished everything you had to do, you headed for the library, in a section closed off even to the librarian herself. 

You took out your permit and showed it to a guard in front of the library's door, receiving in return a bunch of keys and a lantern, instead of the classic candle holder. Suddenly you understood why no one stepped there, leaving aside the complicated question of permissions.

The cleaning there was a joke and there were in fact not a few times when you ended up sneezing after not too long.

You didn't know how long you spent there, obeying Lisa's request to recatalog the myriad of tomes there, a task that usually fell on everyone but the librarian herself.

You spotted a familiar antique book, one that you recalled you've seen Jean using in her office. Said book didn't end up being more interesting than the other logs, considering that it gave information about war, a topic that would have been way less abstruse if it wasn't written in a mondstadtian older than five centuries.

You browsed through its pages just looking at the illustrations before finding a paper sheet carefully folded and placed between the pages.

You took the paper, deducting from its milky color that it wasn't an antique. Placed at the center of the pages, looking more like a hidden note rather than a bookmark.

You walked towards the lantern placed on the table before offering the note to the candle's flame.

"Huh?" you tore the note away from the lantern, gasping when you noticed forming on the surface of the paper what you recognised as words.

Fighting your hesitation, you opened your ticket to take the precautions dictated by your job in the face of such secrecy

Jean,

I can't tell anyone else about this but please control who is in our ranks. I can't tell you any other detail but beware that someone in the knights is related to affairs whose roots related to the catastrophe.

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

The man retrieved his guard, panting as his most trusted companion emitted ardent embers.

He looked at the monster in front of him, awaiting its next move. Lighting was called upon itself before amethyst bolts flashed towards him, following wherever the Mage's stuff pointed.

He dodged with a single swift move as the monster let out a shriek scream. Tightening the grip on his weapon, his great sword drew burning arches on the air before falling down on the abyssal monster. One attack and the monster's shield exploded like a soap bubble.

Not long afterwards, the mage who tried to oppose him was reduced to nothing but ashes. All that was left of what once had been a loyal soldier of the Abyss was now carried by the wind in faraway places.

The man was still, waiting. The sounds of a rudimental army getting closer and closer. He glanced at the monsters charging towards him, then at the building around him.

The problems wasn't killing them quickly, but quietly. He let out a dry sigh, reviving the almost extinguished flames dancing around him. Letting out a dry sigh he put himself on guard reviving the almost extinguished flames dancing around him.

Little was the distance that separated him from those monsters. He charged towards them as ivy wrapped around the hilichurl's bodies.

A field of mauve flowers bloomed on the sterile cobblestone. Paving the way with his great sword, he let his flames burn those vines.

The sounds of the battle died down, and soon the soldiers of that pitiful army died alongside them.

"Hah. I didn't expect that we were still able to do this" he commented while panting. "Still, how did you find me?"

He sent a glance at you upon not receiving an answer. You were looking at a hilichurl's burnt body with disgust, both for the spectacle and for smell. 

Many were the reasons why you weren't on the frontlines and this was one of these. After all, you've always preferred to end conflicts with words rather than recurring to iron. "Your men told me you were 'taking care of some bad grapes' so I figured out you would be here" you replied once you managed to look somewhere else. "I received your massage, anyways" 

"Don't tell me that you want on talk about it here" he commented curtly.

"As if" you rolled your eyes. "But... I'm afraid we have something else to worry about" you commented, looking down the street where you could hear someone's armour slamming against the pavement from the heavy footsteps.

"Milord," you called him out. A pair crimson eyes with a glimmer of curiosity landed on yours. That title was rare but not odd: you both know that it was a way to make sure the other understand an unspoken desire. You suppressed a mischievous smirk "if it's not a bother I'd like to meet at 'the usual place'"

IM SO SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATE I DIDN'T PUBLISH DUE TO FAMILY MATTERS SO I MADE THIS CHAPTER LONGER THAN USUAL😭😭