Reminiscence of Twilight

The first time he saw her she held a lone gaze.

The starlit court was busy, crowded by aristocrats with robes bright as stars, while servants frantically roamed in the rooms of the palace.

"My, my. You and your sister really possess a rare beauty" a guest chirped. 

The Duke’s cadet daughter smiled cordially. However the squire could sense its falsity. 

"The Duke really is a lucky man" purred a coxcomb. "It would be a shame if you won't be able to find a man from a good family" 

She opened a fan, hiding her smile as it turned into a frown. "I believe that the Duke our father will be able to find a good arrangement for us"  she answered, eyes still showing politeness. 

"But won't the Duke be in need of heirs? He only has two legitimate daughters" he insisted.

Her eyes darkened as the mask of phoniness began to fall. She made a cold, dull smile. The squire shivered. "My father will do as he please. Besides he is a wise man" 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

The second meeting was in a place beyond the boundaries of rationality.

He saw a maiden in the middle of a flower field, gazing at the trunk of a tree that probably saw millennia come and go.

She looked as if she was communicating with it, he noticed. 

The squire walked closer. However she didn't seem to notice him, instead she was still submerged in the world she was dreaming. He coughed as she fell back into the real world. 

She gazed him with an expression that slightly betrayed her confusion. 

"W... Where am I?" he asked, voice quivering. 

"This place..." the Duke's youngest daughter seemed to hesitate. "This place is outside this world" 

Confusion painted his features. "Even outside the kingdom?" 

The Duke's daughter nodded. "Even outside the kingdom. Even if," her voice was now a whisper "this place isn't in the other nations either" 

He frowned. "What?" 

Now she seemed annoyed. "Forget it" she sighed

A brief silence fell between them. 

"How do I leave?" 

At his words the maiden seemed surprised. "You want to leave already? It is rare that the tree allows someone to enter" she paused as if waiting for a reply. "If you really want to there's a shore nearby"

"A shore?" he skeptically wondered.

The Duke's daughter shrugged her shoulders. "A sea, lake call it how you want. This place is in some sort of island" she began to walk away. "Fallow me, it isn't too far". He nodded before obliging.

The trip was quiet. Had it not been for the thud of their footsteps, a grim silence would have prevailed between the two.

"We're here"  she said as they arrived near a body of water. That mirror of azure waters was strange: too still to be called sea but too vast to be called lake. "Let the water submerge you and you'll be on the other side"

He frowned. "Are you asking me to drown myself?" the squire skeptically asked.

She shook her head. "This place is outside the boarders of space and rationality. So here we' re only spirits. Our bodies do not matter" she looked him. "And besides, I believe that you have felt neither hunger nor thirst since you've been here"

Right.

"A-anyways" her voice trembled lightly while she watched him as the water welcomed him in its realm. "You are...?"

"My name is Dainsleif" his gaze fell on her "you?"

She said her name.

"Until next time" Dainsleif said her name, as if he wanted to hear its sound from himself.

Then, he let the water envelop him completely.

A/N
Behold! The author came back from her grave, blessed you with another interlude... just to go back in it lol

I forgot to say it last time but these interludes will be about past scenes and will exist for the simple purpose of making some parts of this fic clear (notice how 'clear' for this chapter is a huge word lmao-)

Btw, I was thinking about going on hiatus for a while... 

Anyways! Enough with my rumbling I hope you had a nice day^^