I

Rain drizzled from the blue sky, only obscured by thin clouds, creating droplet patterns on the jagged concrete. A sun shower, the first one in a while.

Your heels clicked against pavement, splashing whenever they hit a shallow puddle that gathered in the dips of the sidewalk. A small umbrella was clutched in your hand, protecting you and your bag from the offending rain.

It had been another boring day of classes; classes you had to take to get a degree you didn't want so you could do something you hated if only to please your parents, who had never been quite impressed by your more unenthusiastic approach towards school. You didn't consider it pointless, education was important after all, but perhaps it was because you hadn't truly found something that clicked with you before high school ended and there lied your apprehension towards college.

Unfortunately, your parents didn't care much for your "figuring yourself out" phase and applied for colleges without telling you, then forcing you to submit the application essays to go to a good school for engineering.

How boring.

Math was never a strong suit. You weren't bad, it just wasn't your favorite. That seemed to happen with most subjects, you had realized. You were never particularly bad or good at a subject, fairly average, but often had little to no interest in the matter.

But now, math was truly hated by you.

You huffed as the rain poured a little harder, splashing the back of legs where the umbrella didn't cover. You just wanted to get home to your humble apartment and play some Genshin Impact or watch some anime (you were halfway through Assassination Classroom).

Genshin Impact, you found, did brighten up your monotonous life, most likely because of the gambling thrill, but also due to its beautiful graphics and music, its interesting story, and enjoyable characters.

God you were starting to sound like an advertisement.

But it was true and you couldn't wait to sit down and finally finish the second act of the Sumeru Archon quest that dropped not too long ago. Zhongli and Tighnari were both desperately evading your wishes but you were unwilling to spend more money on the stupid thing.

Finally getting to your apartment building, you climbed the rickety stairs to your door, the elevator shut down for the fourth time this week. You spotted your chipped red door at the end of the hall, skipping as you made your way closer.

You fumbled your keys into the lock and sighed heavily when the door swung open to reveal your sparsely decorated living room. A couch was pushed against the wall with a small t.v opposite, a black wooden coffee table sat on a ugly rug that you couldn't help but love. Few pictures of yourself, your parents, and your friends hung on the cream colored walls, likening up the otherwise boring room. A basic kitchen was to the right with tiled floor and countertops that clashed greatly with the lightly wooded cabinets.

Not wasting any time, you walked down to the end of the hall straight to your small bedroom. The window let in the slowly waning light as clouds began to take over the sky, the rain pelting down heavier. You flopped on your bed hearing the creak of the skinny metal bed frame.

You kicked off your shoes and pushed your bag to the side so it tumbled off the bed. The textbooks smacked the floor with a loud thump.

Sighing you reluctantly heaved off the bed and started to strip as you made your way to the bathroom, passing the desk that held your pc and several knickknacks you had accumulated over the years from friends. You nearly tripped as you fangled your way out your jeans but eventually reached the tiny shower.

You cleaned off quickly, letting the lukewarm water relax your muscles that had stiffed throughout the day from being hunched over a notebook, frantically writing down everything you could.

You scrubbed the dollar store shampoo into your [h/c] hair, nails scratching your scalp pleasantly.

Your shower came to a close rather quickly. You stepped out, wrapping yourself in a fluffy towel as your hair dripped onto the yellowing-white tiles. Drying yourself off, you picked up your discarded clothes on the way back to your dresser.

Pulling on a pair of sweats and an oversized, black hoodie, you flopped into the swirly chair by your desk, starting up your pc. The rain fell harder, slapping against the window.

Your damp hands slipped on the mouse and keys as you opened Genshin, ready to farm for primos by doing anything you had to, even if that meant doing a world quest or sacrificing level up materials to get a character you don't use up to level twenty.

The screen loaded up the door as the welcoming music filtered through your ears. Lightning flashed in the background lingering on the walls before thunder shook the room.

You clicked begin and the elements loaded up, suddenly getting stuck halfway through the geo element. You resisted the temptation to grab your monitor and shake it, instead lightly gripping it and pretending to violently destroy it.

However the contact sent sparks up your fingers and through your arms, lighting up every nerve in your body with pain.

It was blinding in a way, similar to the lightning that had flashed on the wall. The pain exploded throughout every limb, eventually reaching the back of your eyes, white filled your vision. Your teeth clenched and you felt like they were gonna break before you suddenly collapsed back onto your cheap swivel chair. Your body slumped to the ground, unceremoniously landing in an awkward position while your digits twitched and your vision slowly faded from white to black.

The last thing you realized was that your game had finally started up and a frantic voice was mumbling incoherently.