XIII

“Let me officially introduce the City of Wind, Dandelions, and Freedom!” Amber called the three of you back to attention. A smile so adoring lit up on her face it scrunched up the corners of her eyebrows. She put her hand over her heart. “Travelers under the protection of the Knights of Favonius - Welcome to Mondstadt!”

Paimon wiggled in the air, kicking her feet slightly as she swayed in the calming breeze. “Finally!” She exclaimed. “No more having to camp outdoors!”

You giggled. “You should’ve come here earlier if you had to do that! Mond takes in all the strays.” You leaned forward with your hand covering the side of your mouth and stage-whispered. “They kinda have low standards.”

You felt a particularly strong whip of wind against your face and it sent you into peels of laughter. Aether hand covered his mouth to hide his chuckles as Amber let out a disgruntled, yet still playful ‘hey!’. Paimon had been looking around while the rest of you had your moment.

“The city folk don’t look too happy ya know.”

Amber made an ‘oh’ face, a pink tint on her cheeks as she forgot to inform them. “Everyone’s been put out of place by Stormterror recently.” She perked up in earnest. “But everything will turn out alright as long as Jean is with us!”

“So down the hero worship girl.” You turned to Paimon with a light smile, ignoring Amber’s sputtering in the background. “Jean’s the Acting Grand Master of the Knights. She’s quite skilled and recently she’s been working her ass off with the whole D-Stormterror thing.” You saw Aether raise an eyebrow but tried to make it look like you never slipped up. You really need to get that under control.

“She sounds pretty impressive.” Aether nodded.

“She is! But before I take you to the Knights of Favonius headquarters, I have a present for you!”

You knew it was the wind glider but you couldn’t help but mumble out a ‘where the fuck did you get a present from?’ as Amber informed Aether that it was a reward for helping the two of you out. As soon as it hit you, bitterness crept in your soul. How the hell had you been in Mond for almost a year and a half and not even thought about getting a wind glider? Where were your priorities?

“Why doesn’t Paimon get a reward?!”

You shook your head. “Paimon, you didn’t even do anything.”

“Paimon was moral support!”
“Yeah okay.”

Amber stepped in, trying to mediate the growing irritation in the fairy and the amusement in you. “This reward is useless to you Paimon, but I'll treat you to a traditional Mondstadt delicacy! Sticky Honey Roast!”

Paimon gasped. “Sticky Honey Roast!” You practically saw the drool dripping down her chin at the thought.

Amber turned back to Aether now that the little fairy was satiated. “Come on! I’ll take you up to the city’s highground.” She turned to you, an eager hop in her step. “Are you coming with us [y/n]?”

Your excitement nearly burst through your chest, but you did your best to keep a composed face, shrugging with faux indifference. “Sure, why not? You can pay me for the work later.”

“Pay you?”

You leaned down towards Amber. “I may be nice, but I’m not free. I still need to eat tonight.”

“Oh well- yeah of course, I’ll get you your payment.” Amber smiled and you returned it, slinging an arm over her shoulder and pulling her close to your side.

The four of you walked, well Paimon floated, up the many staircases that weaved through the city of Mond, giving it a delicate intricacy. You eventually made it to a place Amber deemed high enough, right in front of the statue of Barbatos.