XLI

Finally landing in Mond after so long apart was like a breath of fresh air. The rolling hills and soft breeze surrounded you, brushing through your hair.

And then you frowned when it smashed into you like a giant wave, hugging you all over like it was inspecting every thread of your clothing and hair on your head. This continued until it blew away from you and condensed in a human form not too far in front of you.

The wind formed shapes and outlines. Slim legs and the soft curves of a torso, lithe arms and long, effortless beautiful angel wings. Barbatos appeared to you, still in his godly form, a controlled expression on his youthful face framed with glowing green braids.

However, once the god's foot touched the grass it was as if he never was so godly. His typical bard outfit was back, the ornaments and ruffles and cape swaying in the last of the dissipating breeze.

He walked towards you, expression unchanging, a for a horrible moment, you thought he would yell at you, berate you, tell you how it was all your fault. You shouldn't think it, you know he never would, Venti was enigmatic in terms of personality and emotion, but not unreasonable. But the nervousness born from his stoic expression, the goldy aura you remembered from the rescue attempt in the abyss that almost had a pressure to it you couldn't explain, it festered anxiety in your stomach.

That was until Venti cupped your face, just as he had done so long ago under Vanessa's tree, and smiled. It was then you realized, his swirling eyes were lined with tears and the hands against your face trembled lightly.

His voice was a relieved whisper. "I'm so glad you're not hurt. I'm so happy I didn't lose you."

His hands slid to your shoulders and you were pulled down into another hug, one of what you would presume to be many. His body felt like cold sun, like a day in spring with a pleasant breeze but the sun has yet to hide behind any clouds and beams down on the earth below in a gentle warmth. He surrounds you so lovingly, letting his smooth fingers brush through your hair, as if he was comforting you and only you.

You melted in his embrace, leaning down so your arms wrapped around his waist. You simply basked in his presence, feeling warm and protected. "I'm happy to be back."

You felt him sigh, his fingers curling in your hair. "Everyone was so worried about where you ended up after you had been thrown in that portal. They've been on edge for days."

You pulled back, a furrow to your brow. "Days?"

"You've been gone for four days after you were pushed into that portal."

You hummed in surprise. "I was in Sumeru for three days then."

Venti's eyebrow arched. "Sumeru? That's where you fell?"

"Yeah," you waved off. "It's not a big deal. I got picked up by a good doctor and when I woke up, crossed the border into Liyue and called for Xiao. Then I spent yesterday in Liyue."

"With Xiao?"

Your face, unknowing to you, lit up a bit more at the mention. "Yes!" You hopped over to the adeptus, who all this time had been standing beside in silence, not wanting to leave you just yet. "And look! He got his wings a little while ago and I preened them and now look how gorgeous they are!"

You stood next to Xiao, arms displaying his heavy wings that shone like gold. Said wings had pulled closer to the adeptus, a pink blush on the man's cheeks. You saw Venti's eye twitch.

"You preened him?"

"Yeah." You looked between the two winged creatures as they stared at each other, having a silent conversation through their eyes that you couldn't even begin to understand. "Was that inappropriate of me? I'm sorry, if it was."