XLVI

Sitting by the river, Ariel, a comforting presence by your side, was enough to help you relax your body more than you ever did when you tried meditating in the inn. You were still unable to truly meditate, to reach whatever barrier surrounded your mind, but you could relax in those fifteen minute increments Ariel had you do. After over two weeks of trying while waiting for the Alcor to get ready for Inazuma, you had become used to the sensation of prickles going along your legs and arms to try and get you to move, and the more you meditated, the more it petered out, leaving you genuinely content after a session.

However, halfway through this session, the sound of your name being called broke you from your concentration. Turning around, you found Aether standing there, an eager turn of his lips.

“Polaris, the Alcor is ready. We’re going, now.”

You raised your eyebrow. “Now? Right now?”

“Right this very second now. Come on!” Before you could say anything else, Aether ran off back in the direction of the inn.

“He’s excited.” Ariel commented dryly.

You huff a laugh. “Of course he’s excited. The Alcor has been preparing for a long time, and he’s eager to get to Inazuma for potential information.”

“Just information.”

You groaned, standing from your meditative position and beginning to walk away. “I’m not doing this again, I told you I wouldn’t get involved with anything.”

“Alright, alright. I believe you.”

“Do you, though?”

Ariel looked at you with a deadpan expression.

-

You finished gathering the last of your items and weapons. Your sword was hooked by your waist, your bow and quiver over your shoulder, your claymore in a sheath on your back. Your bags were hanging in your tired hands. The load was a lot, but nothing too strenuous as to tire you out. Swinging the claymore was much more of a task than simply carrying it anyway.

Aether sheathed his own sword and turned to look at you with a wince. “A lot to carry, huh?”

“Well, we don’t all have a mystical space to stick our crap whenever we want, so yes, a lot to carry.”

Aether’s eyes light up. “Actually, now that you mention it, I may have a solution to that?”

“What solution?” Your voice was cautious, which Aether slightly frowned at. He wasn’t a troublemaker, but your little brother could be mischievous and snarky when he wanted to.

“Madam Ping asked me to do something for her. These past few weeks I’d been taking requests from people to keep some money coming while we waited, and Madam Ping chimed in. I did what she wanted, and she gave me this.” He held out his hands, cupping them like he was holding something rounded, and in a small glow, a teapot appeared.

“A teapot.” You said, shocked. Of all the things to forget, how could you forget Aether’s teapot?

“An adeptus abode, she called it. Like a little pocket dimension in the teapot. I’ve only used it once, and it was pretty empty other than a manor, but Madam Ping gave me some furniture to decorate it with.” He holds out the teapot. “Would you like to decorate it with me?”

You smile softly, a warmth in your chest. “Of course, but we can do that on the Alcor. We’re bound to be at sea for more than enough time to get everything settled. Do you mind if I drop some things in there as well?”

“Of course not. My home is your home.”

You whine playfully at Aether’s soft eyes. “Ugh, you can’ say those things all nice and sweet. It makes me want to hug you until you pass out.”