XXVI

Like you thought, when the time came for you to get ready for the day, you were completely exhausted. The final few hours of sleep you got after you had left the balcony had been helpful, you didn't complain that much, but you still dragged your feet along the wooden floors of the inn when you met Aether and Paimon for breakfast.

Sitting on the terrace of the inn, the three of you, with Ariel not taking the chance to eat food he didn't necessarily need out in the open sun, ate some yummy breakfast (considering it came from, for all intents and purposes, a hotel). Paimon gorged herself, as usual, trying all the Liyuen food she could. Throughout the meal, Aether's brow got comically sweatier with every new dish Paimon ordered, praying for his wallet.

The walk back to the harbor to go meet with Childe started with another wave to Xiao. You turned the same as you did the first time to see him perched on the rooftop once more, however, this time he sent a small wave back, something that had you grinning easily.

-

Meeting up with Childe was boring to say the least. Right now, the fetch quest of the Liyue story would begin and it annoyed you to no end. It was truly an agonizing ride helping Zhongli collect whatever he needed for the right of descension (expect that one chick, she knew what she was doing), but you decided to stick out the first part to at least meet the infamous dead guy before dipping and finding something more interesting to do.

Now you guys were waiting down at the dock, feeling the salty air breeze through the harbor. Sailors and businessmen shouted along the way, yelling 'put this here' or 'grab that there', a perfectly controlled chaos that had you basking in its organized disarray.

"How long do you think we have to wait for that ginger harbinger?" Paimon pouted, floating closer to Aether, who looked like he was in another world. His head was tilted back slightly, strands of hair loose from his braid swaying in the wind, eyes fluttering with thoughts you couldn't understand, and legs so lax you bet they could swing with the breeze as well.

Turning to Ariel, you found him in a similar state. He was standing at the edge, as close as you could get to the sea at the moment, with his wings stretched wide. The thin film of his wings flittered in the wind and just like Aether, his dark almond eyes had fallen shut.

Turning to Paimon you grumbled along with her. "I don't know, he's taking a damn long time. We might as well just check in in about another thirty minutes or so. He should be fast."

"Faster."

You couldn't help but scoff in agreement. You were about to tease the boys for their state, but from the corner of your eye you saw a most unexpected person enjoying the view. Murmuring a quick 'be right back' you jogged over to the russet haired woman.

You stopped by her side. "Hello Miss Jinfeng." Her head tilted towards you, eyes lidded halfway, and you had to take a breath before continuing. "It's nice to see you again."

She smiled back, though it seemed artificial. "A pleasure to meet you again."

"If I might impose," you said. "May I ask if you're alright?"

She sighed, her hand traveled down from where it held her face to the veins of her other hand, tracing each line delicately and precisely. "I suppose I've been feeling rather down since yesterday."

Oh right. Death of the God and all that jazz. But instead of comfort, all that comes out is, "Were you a devoted believer?"

She pauses, gazing out at the sea. Her eyes were long gone, beautifully glazed as she thought back to memories you didn't know but had the strong urge to learn. Something about her pulled you in. Perhaps it was her strangely knowing and amused smile, or the way she held herself, but something in you said she's interesting.