XXXIII

It was strange, like you were just a consciousness living in a shell. A shell you couldn't control but kept you trapped.

It was hard to think. Everything was just so hazy. It was like there was a cloud over your entire body, plugs in your ears like you were on an airplane. You were floating, your limbs light and thoughts gone.

Sometimes there was pressure. Pressure on your numb fingers, pressure on your side, pressure on your face. The weight varied but, in some part of your foggy mind, you knew it was a comforting weight.

Slowly, it was like your consciousness merged back with your body. A connection was made between your soul and your brain and you felt your nerves light up. Feeling spread across your body once more, but now you felt weighted instead of light.

It was still hard to move but the plugs were removed from your ears and the fog drifted away.

-

It was like waking up from a long dream when you opened your eyes. Your vision was bleary and and movements sluggish.

A deep breath and a couple blinks allowed you to gather yourself enough to realize that you were in a hospital bed and Ariel was curled up on an uncomfortable plastic chair right by your side.

He was draped weirdly, legs hanging over the arm while his body twisted enough to keep his head on the back. His wings were spread out to keep them from being crushed which led to one being over the other arm and the other near his head.

It was so awkward you couldn't help but let out a low, raspy chuckle, but that seemed to be enough to have Ariel's eyes snap wide open. His head jerked up with shock and he looked at you with eyes so wide you couldn't see his eyelids.

"Hey angel." Your voice dragged oddly and cracked painfully, but you still managed to muster a small smile.

Ariel lurched towards you, his hands coming to cup your face as he practically leaned on top of you. His fairy wings fluttered wildly and his dark brown eyes were covered in a glassy sheen.

"You're awake." He whispered.

"Yeah." You coughed. "It kinda sucks right now."

His head dropped to your collarbone, his hands to your shoulders. "Don't joke right now. Please... just not right now." His voice cracked and it was then you realized the tears dripping down your chest.

The heaviness in your hand didn't stop you from lifting it so you could rest it against his neck, your fingertips lightly drawing circles on his nape. "Come on angel, I'm right here. I'm okay."

"No," he choked out. "You're not, and you haven't been for the past two months."

You thought your heart stopped in your chest right then and there. Two months? TWO MONTHS?! It was like a shock to your system.

Ariel raised his head, tears streaking down his cheeks, his eyes rimmed red. "It was bad [Y/n]. It was so bad. It took a week before the doctors were sure you would push through and even then they didn't know when you would wake up!"

His voice was hysterical and it made your own eyes teary. "I'm sorry."

"I-" He sighed, sniffling when he couldn't think of something to say. "I don't even know- I don't know how to respond to an apology."

"I should've paid more attention to what was happening on the platform." When Ariel didn't respond you tried something else. "How is... everyone? Did it all turn out okay?"

Ariel finally leaned back, wiping the tears from his face. "Aether's been a complete wreck. His phantom pain acted up again and it took a while to get him to let me administer the injection because he wanted you to do it." Ariel took another breath. "He's been coming to the hospital everyday to lay by your side. He wanted you to know that he was there so you didn't feel so alone."