XXXIX

Sitting around a worn wooden table under the solemn glow of the tavern was a golden haired traveler, his little fairy, his invisible companion that gently squeezed his hand, a god, a tavern owner, and Cavalry Captain with no cavalry.

"My... connections," Diluc spoke up, filling the silence with his rough, surprisingly steady voice. "They found a domain with an abyssal portal that's frequently used by the Abyss Order to get to and from Teyvat. We can use that to sneak into the Abyss and find [Y/n]."

"How will we know how to navigate? How do we know where in the Abyss we'll end up once we pass through?" Paimon piped up.

"You," Barbatos spoke. "Are not coming with us."

"WHAT?!" The little fairy shrieked, indignation written all over her face. "Why not? [Y/N] is my friend too!"

"Paimon, as much as I love your 'moral support' when taking down a Hilichurl camp, you might get in the way during something like this, and I can't keep an eye on you to stop you from getting hurt during a rescue mission." Aether soothed, reaching out with his non-taken hand to guide Paimon into sitting on his lap.

Paimon huffed and kicked her feet, but eventually settled down and listened.

"We don't know what's on the other side of the portal, but does that really matter when we are attempting to save a friend?" Ever since Aether had told Kaeya everything - the visions, the abyss, the injury, the kidnapping. He told Kaeya when he saw Venti from the corner of his eye, giving him a short nod. - his eye had lost a particular sparkle in them. Normally filled with mischief and humor, were now a saddened gray, lips set into a constant frown.

Aether couldn't guess what Kaeya was thinking about the situation, grateful at the very least that he was still determined to get Polaris back. Perhaps it was the lies of omission that shook him so hard, or maybe the kidnapping is what's really bothering him and the secrets kept don't matter.

Aether found that hard to believe but he shook the thoughts from his mind. That wasn't the focus now.

"Besides, we have a... god," Kaeya swallowed harshly, the most emotion he's shown all night. "On our side. What firepower could they have that would stop you?" Kaeya's held an air of mocking to it.

Barabtos simply stared at him, eyes whirling like a storm. Strands of green, blue, and gray swirled through his irises like a kaleidoscope. "I am the weakest of the seven. There is always the possibility that they have gotten another god on their side that is more powerful than I, or several dangerous monsters of old that I would be unable to defeat on my own."

"Do you think that's highly possible?" Diluc questioned.

Barbatos was silent for a moment, wings rustling being the only indication that he wasn't a statue as he thought. "No." He said finally. "I don't find it all too probable at this moment. The Abyss Order has bad relations with every country on Teyvat, I find it hard to believe that they would be able to convince one of the seven on their side." Barbatos put his hand to his chin. "And even if they had stirred a monster of old, I would have felt it. Morax would have as well, and he would've informed me if it was unintentional."

The final sentence tapered off into a grumble. "I noticed fairly soon when Dvalin had begun terrorizing Mond, even in my hibernation. Now, awake, I would've heard the movement of an ancient being."

"Then what's stopping us from entering?" A giddiness welled up in Aether's head, an excitable twitch to his fingers.

"Nothing but exhaustion."

"Oh are you tired, poor Master Diluc?" Kaeya scoffed.

An instant glare narrowed Diluc's eyes. "And what have you been doing all day Sir Kaeya? Have you been the one to wander all across Mond with only the hope of information?"