XI

You held the glowing bow with a sense of awe, not even daring to wrap your fingers around the beautifully carved material. It was white with intricate carvings embedded deep that looked vaguely like swirls and small birds. Lavender highlights shone with a gentle light and specks of gold twirled within them. The string was taunt and new, ready to be broken in. Near the top it had a circular addition with a symbol you’ve never seen before.

Ariel had finally decided that you had become masterful enough to have your own custom bow. He made it himself, with materials from who knows where and gifted it to you this morning after a hearty breakfast of sausage and Teyat Fried Eggs. You simply sat there in shock, trying not to let the waterworks go like you had with Diluc when he gifted you the Kamera.

“Are you going to sit there and stare at it, or will you go on your commissions and test it out?”

“That’s why you got up so early? So you could give me this and see it tested out?” He merely nodded. You shook your head, gazing down at the bow, practically entranced by it. “I almost don’t want to.”

“Well you’re going to.” He scoffed, standing up and taking both of your plates to the sink. “I didn’t make that for you just so you could gawk at it.”

“I know, I know,” you furrowed your brows. “But what is this symbol for? I’ve never seen it before.”

“From the little I know of Genshin, each character has their own ‘constellation’ yes?” You nodded confused. “The symbols of the constellations are different for each character because it is a mark embedded in their souls. That bard you met not too long ago has the constellation of a young boy because whatever influenced that symbol, most likely an old friend- I don’t remember the story all too much- or a lover, had such a profound impact on his life that the experience marked itself on his soul. Other times, like that short, green haired, angry boy with the raspy voice-”

“Xiao?”

“Yes him, they have a constellation representative of who or what they are, hence why his is a bird. This symbol is your soul mark, I just looked at your soul and copied down the largest mark, which is that one.”

You followed him as he paced, a habit he had when he was explaining things and needed to think. “So I can have more than one mark on my soul?”

“Yes but the biggest one is most indicative of who you are, what you’ve experienced, and so on and so forth.”

“Ah.” You traced your finger over the Ouroboros, a symbol of destruction and recreation. Fitting given that you had been reincarnated and that your death had been the most impactful experience to you, quite literally taking you to another universe. The symbol was gorgeous, as wonderfully carved as the swirls and birds. “And the birds?”

Ariel just waved his hand. “Another one of your smaller soul marks, a mark of the longing for freedom. I figured it would be a nice reminder of your new found life and independence in this world.”

“Thank you.” You held your hand out to him, which he grasped tightly. “It’s amazing.”

“I’m glad you like it so much.” He rubbed his thumb over your knuckles, smiling at you so softly it made your stomach turn. “Now let's go test it out.”

The two if you rushed to the Adventurer’s Guild with you picking up your commissions from Kathryne and Ariel bugging you to hurry up so he could see his work in action.

You went all over the country, not even complaining about the slight burn in your legs, taking out hilichurl camps swift and easy. The bow fit right in your hands as if it had always belonged there and the matching white, purple, and gold quiver that Ariel had given you as you both were rushing out the door, was fit snugly on your back, perfectly made for your proportions.