VI

For the next few months, that was your routine. Wake up in the early morning, shake Ariel till he had to get up, exercise, practice your archery (you were picking it up rather well if you do say so yourself), and get teased by Kaeya during his evening patrols.

You were handling those better as well. His lean ins and sultry comments. They still made you flustered but they never left you in silence.

Your time in Teyvat has been enjoyable, pleasant, nothing exciting at all… which confused you. Normally, when someone gets isekaied they're right at the beginning of the story, experiencing it alongside whatever twin from the start. However your twin has not shown up, there has not been a single Dvalin attack, and when you asked Kaeya about both, he had only responded with confusion.

It took you too long to realize that you had started before the canon storyline. Kaeya looked the same as he had in the game, and the glimpses you had of Amber when she ran around the city also had her looking like her youthful self, so you assumed that it wasn't too far back. You still had no clue and this waiting was making you somewhat anxious.

Knowing the terror that Dvalin was going to bring on the people and your twin (whichever it turned out to be) losing their sibling, made you sad in a way. Once you had gotten into Genshin, all you wanted to do was go on the adventures and get to know the characters, and you still do, but they weren't characters anymore. This was your new reality and you could no longer think of these people as avatars for a video game. They had thoughts and feelings and made daily decisions. They lived lives with habits there was no way you could know about just by playing the game.

Sara bought back up supplies from the general store across from Good Hunter when she thought she was running out of ingredients in the middle of the day. Flora liked to talk with Marjorie, exchanging fascinating knowledge of flower language and artifact history. Donna really enjoyed the ever so famous sticky honey roast and would visit Good Hunter frequently to have it, often striking up conversation with Sara.

There was an inkling of guilt, something that stirred in your stomach and made you queasy. You were essentially letting this happen, and though you didn't particularly care about the timeline, exposing some kind of psychic knowledge of upcoming events by warning the people to prepare would make everything more difficult. Besides, nothing terrible happened during Dvalin's attacks right? Little destruction here, some tornados there, but nothing too bad?

Ugh, what a bad justification. But if you were known to have the ability to see into the future (because that would be the easiest thing to play it off as) People might start coming to you for help you couldn't give, or expect answers about bad things happening that you didn't have. You didn't even want to know what would happen if someone like Dottore found out that you could see the future.

But it would all work out in the end. Yeah.

For now, you're signing up for the Adventurer's Guild. Your archery has gotten to a point where you could accurately aim, fire, and maybe kill something moving, so if you encountered some weak slimes or one hilichurl, you could survive. Now you could take smaller tasks that were out of the city as well as in, you'd be starting with more jobs available to you.

Skipping up to the counter, Kathryne waved at you with a smile. She greeted you and was very kind as you enthusiastically signed up. Thankfully, you didn’t have to wear one of those hideous green outfits and could keep your snazzy black boots.

Speaking of black boots, your next stop was Ms. Blanchard so you could acquire a side pouch for anything small you might need. You already planned to use one of the better practice bows lying around in the training area, nobody would know it was missing anyway, and a matching quiver, because you could not magically summon an infinite supply of arrows. However, you managed to buy some cheap medical supplies, which probably wasn’t a good thing but whatever, and you wanted a nice bag to carry them around in on your commissions. Unfortunately, you didn’t think the wondrous Teyvat Fried Egg would be able to save you if you keeled over from a particularly hard slime shove.