XXVIII

You woke up to heavy breathing. Your eyes fluttered open to see a steady stream of sunlight through the inn window, indicating it was well into the morning, but the only thing you could focus on was that pained sound.

Looking over from Aether's bed, you saw him in yours with his hand clenched in the sheets, laying on his stomach, breathing too heavily for it to be normal. You noticed Ariel still sleeping on the window sill and Paimon snoring next to you. You slip from bed to stand by Aether's side, gently placing a hand on his back.

But Aether flinches, hard, and you quickly retract your hand, hearing him mumble "don't touch, don't touch." You kneel down by his bedside, keeping your hands on your lap and whisper to him. "Aether? What's wrong kid? What hurts?"

Aether tries to speak again but it only comes out as a pained grunt. It was like a lightbulb went off in your head and you remembered what he had told you on your journey to Liyue, "Is it your back? Is it hurting more than normal?"

Aether nods his head slightly and your brain halts for a moment before you stand and dress as fast as possible, throwing on some presentable clothes to go out in. Bubu Pharmacy is close by, they might have something to help with the pain. You rush to grab some money, before kicking Ariel's foot as it hangs from the window sill.

The angel wakes up with a scowl and a muttered "ow" and glares at you. "What was the point of that?"

"Aether's in pain, I'm going to Bubu Pharmacy to get some medication. Stay with him please, make sure he gets some water and food or something. Just take care of him while I'm out." You rush out, panic creeping into your tone as Aether groans in the background.

Ariel sits up immediately at your words. "Okay, I got it."

You nod and go back to Aether's side, gently brushing some hair from his face to coax him into opening his eyes. He does, the teary golden irises making your heart clench. "I'm going to get you some medication, I'll be back soon. If you need anything, ask the air and Ariel will get it for you, okay?"

Aether nods and that was your sign to rush out the door, mora pouch clenched tightly in your fist. You walk swiftly down the streets of Liyue, worrying going through your mind. Aether had already told you that his phantom pains felt like his wings were being ripped out and cauterized on the average. You couldn't even imagine how terrible a bad day must be.

So caught up in your intense worry, you accidentally run into a certain Fatui redhead walking down the street in the late hours of the morning. The shoulder checking causes you to trip and you would've fell straight on your face if an arm around your bicep stops you. You turn to apologize only to see Childe's confused look.

He smiles to cover the confusion. "Woah! What's the rush, comrade?"

"Ha." You breathe out. "Sorry about that, but I've got places to be. I'll talk to you some other time." You continue power walking down the street not looking back as you hear feet rushing to catch up to you.

Childe appears at your side, easily keeping up with you. "Why are you in such a hurry? Is something wrong?"

Sighing, realizing he wasn't going to stop, you answer. "I need to buy some pain medication."

Childe's eyebrows furrow. "For Aether? Is he hurt?"

"Yes for Aether. He's not... feeling well."

Childe notices your pause but doesn't comment on it, following you up the steps to Bubu Pharmacy. The stairs only serve to annoy you, but you finally make it to the counter, surprisingly enough, seeing the green haired snake fiend, Baizhu. You walk you to the counter, slightly out of breath, with Childe behind you. Baizhu was reading something, you didn't care to look at the title, uncaring of the mess that was you standing in front of him.