Chapter 1: Barough

In the world of Confictura, there rested the continent of Lanoria, whose landscape was vast and wondrous. Grand Kingdoms spanned in every direction. There, in the very heart of Lanoria, lay the Kingdom of Barough. Although it was a small kingdom, it thrived despite the many hardships it had faced in the past.

At its head was King Felix Barough. A benevolent ruler who valued the lives of his people and court. None more so than his child and heir, Oriana. At the moment, the two were sharing a meal together. A modest white stone fireplace roared lazily behind them, which cast a warm glow upon the polished dishes that decorated the table. While the atmosphere was enjoyable, the tension in the room was not, as father and daughter had gotten onto a touchy subject.

"Father, please, I believe it is time we got another courtmage," the princess pleaded, moving a lock of golden hair from her face.

"Not this again, Oriana." Felix pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration.

For three weeks, the princess had been beseeching her father to appoint another courtmage. A courtmage was a mage, or a being born with magic, who was appointed to protect a human kingdom. There had been a grave concern after the city of Lutis seceded from Barough to join the Kingdom of Frostfall that it would inspire other nobles in the kingdom to follow suit.

"Our people need someone to walk among them so that they feel safe," she continued.

"Did you forget it was a courtmage that killed your mother? I won't have it!" Felix slammed his hand down on the table with such force that the solid oak table shook. Years ago, their courtmage turned on them and slaughtered the Queen, who, in turn, was also killed for it.

"Please, father, we could use one!" Oriana continued.

"Enough of this!" He shouted, successfully silencing his daughter. Oriana's lime-green eyes focused on her father's angry expression. "Oriana, we are not allowing a courtmage in this kingdom!"

He knew his outburst had upset his daughter, so he took a moment to breathe deeply in order to calm himself.

A tall, older man was seated next to Oriana. "My princess, listen to me. You haven't properly met a mage of greater rank than an acolyte, but I have, and I can describe them to you: they're cruel, ruthless, and brutal." Killian spoke while he gently patted her hand. He was the first knight of Barough under King Felix. Someone who was fully trusted by the royal family and held the highest rank in their forces.

"Come now, Killian, that is not true," Oriana argued.

"They think only about getting stronger. It's only about gaining more power through any means necessary. They kill for sport. That is how it is in Medeis. That island, on the west coast of Lanoria, is a haven for murder. A place where mages are taught how to kill. For no reason other than their own glory." Killian's dark skin wrinkled as he recounted that horrible place.

"I know that. Both you and my father have told me many times. Though I am certain there are good ones among them." Oriana argued. "Someone in Medeis surely has compassion for their fellow man."

"They would see that as a weakness, Oriana," Killian argued.

The princess shook her head. "No, I don't believe that."

Felix raised an eyebrow at Oriana's statement. In response, he remarked, "If you believe what you are saying, Oriana, then you would invite anybody from Medeis to your table. Maximus Alvisio, a ruthless demon, included?"

There was such hatred in the king's description of "The Blood Prince" that the venom nearly dripped from his mouth while he questioned Oriana. "They worship him in Medeis, calling him the "Prince of Mages!" Felix continued. "Medeis celebrates the fact that he slaughtered countless innocent lives."