Chapter 7: It's the Little Things

As Donovan was escorted to his bedroom, Killian was waiting in the halls, just glaring at the large mage. "Guess you get a bed for the night at least," Killian said as Donovan passed by him.

"More than a bed," Donovan smiled. "The Princess said I'll get my own room from now on." The mage gave Killian a playful wink, which only caused Killian's face to turn red as he stormed off towards Oriana's room. Celsy, who was also on her way to visit the Princess, saw Killian power-walking in the same direction.

Frowning, she asked, "Oriana kicked him out, right?"

"No!"

"Then let's go talk to her, and see if he placed a spell upon the princess... Though knowing her..."

Killian nodded and said, "She's just being nice."

As Oriana was moving her hands through the clean white handkerchief, Killian and Celsy burst into the room. "What are you thinking, Oriana?!" Killian asked angrily.

"Are you asking about Donovan?" Oriana asked, quickly turning to face them.

Celsy walked up and took the Princess' hand before speaking, "He is not good for you or Barough."

That made Oriana purse her lips together. "He is not used to how it is here. We can't expect him to figure it out overnight," she said. "We have to show him a more acceptable way to handle situations than what they teach in Medeis."

Killian shook his head "I have met many men like him. There is no teaching a killer kindness."

"I know he would make a fine protector. He is a good man at his core. That is why he left Medeis and came to us." Oriana said, as if trying to justify her reasons still.

Celsy quickly interjected, "You're being naive, Oriana." That had the Princess pulling her hand away from Celsy.

"I know everyone thinks I am young and naive, but I am doing my best!"

Killian spoke up quickly "Oriana, what do you think Prince Tyir would say if he heard you were allowing a mage who attacks people at the dinner table to stay? It would look bad on him and his family if he chose to marry a princess who surrounds herself with those kinds of people."

Oriana huffed. She was getting very worked up and her hands formed into fists at her sides. "Don't bring up Tyir. He has nothing to do with this. If you would just let meexplain," she tried.

Celsy interrupted her, saying softly, "Please, Oriana, Prince Tyir is enchanted by you. He came all the way here to be with you! Not to mention, your father wanted you to marry him. He is to be your partner."

"Barough is in a fragile place right now. We cannot afford to lose strong allies like the Kingdom of Winter Haven." Celsy added.

Killian reached out and took Oriana's hands in his and began to speak calmly. "We are not trying to upset you. These are uncertain times. Celsy is right; Barough is weakened. The Cult of Beelzebub is currently spreading across Lanoria. There are already whispers of war. We need to strengthen Barough. We cannot let this one man bring you down. We just want what's best for you."

Finally feeling as if she had a moment to speak, Oriana took a moment to calmly say, "I know you're both worried. Please, you two listen to me. If we let it slip about the incident at dinner, it will make us look as if Barough has weakened further. It will seem as if I am powerless to lead my people! I don't want Tyir in particular to think ill of him." more than the Prince appeared to.

She knew the cult was becoming a problem, a much bigger one than she would have liked to think. Especially after they killed her father. Not to mention members being seen in the City of Lanor. "Oriana, he needs to face justice for his actions," Celsy told her. She was frustrated that Donovan was getting away with so many things.