Chapter 19: A Sorrowful Storm

Bitter tears stung her eyes as she ran all the way down the stairs and had just come to the statue of Asorath before Donovan caught up to her.

"Hey, don't go off by yourself!"

"Just give me a minute, please!" she sniffled as she shivered, wrapping her arms around herself. It was oddly cold downstairs in the lobby of the theater when it hadn't been a few hours prior.

"I can't just leave you alone," he told her stubbornly. "And I know you're upset."

"Of course, I'm upset. You played with my emotions! What was I supposed to think when we kissed so passionately? You even gave me your mother's necklace, only to shun my feelings so easily!" They were fortunate to be alone in the theater as the play was about to start.

There was a strong breeze from the door as a storm brewed outside. Taking off his cape, he would wrap it around her. He was about to hug her when they heard screaming.

"Don't go anywhere; I'll be right back!" Donovan told her as he rushed out the doors. Curled up tightly in his cape, she would watch the door anxiously. It seemed the others in the theater had also noticed.

Keeping quiet, Oriana watched them as they opened the doors, and the wind blew angrily at them. Putting her hands in front of her face, she tried to block the wind. Oriana panicked as she nearly lost Donovan's cape to the force of the wind! Despite being angry, she still couldn't deny her feelings. Thankfully, they had closed the doors quickly and were being ushered to another area. Staying put, the Princess hid under the large statue as she anxiously awaited Donovan's return.

Outside, the storm raged violently. Abnormal streaks of lightning came down upon the people of Asra. Suddenly, a lightning bolt streaked across the sky, unnaturally bending right towards the theater doors. It smashed a large hole through the large, ornate golden doors with a loud bang. The shrapnel of wood sprayed everywhere! Thanks to Donovan's cape, the princess was spared from harm. The wooden pieces burst into flames, coupled with the sound of her screams. The Princess looked up at the Patriarch of the Pantheon and gripped the leg of the dragon.

"Asorath, please aid the knights and mages who are defending this great city! They need your strength in battle. Give Donovan your strength, I beg you." The Princess took one last quick look at the direction Donovan headed before the doors became engulfed in flames.

Outside, the haunting sound of the warning bells rang through the city. Donovan was currently running towards the center of town. Trying to find the source of the storm. Luckily for him, it wasn't hard to find. Whoever was casting this spell was putting out a large amount of magic to keep it running.

As he focused, he realized a few mages were only about two hundred feet away. He was sure they were all working together to cast the storm. So, if he could get a couple of them to fight him, the storm would immediately become less potent. Donovan rushed forward, going at top speed toward the mages. Based on the storm, he assumed he was dealing with elemental mages. It didn't surprise him. Elemental magic was the most popular school of magic.

As Donovan came up to the mages, he said, "I was enjoying my night. How about you pay for ruining it with your heads? Or should I start by cutting your dicks off?"

Neither said anything to Donovan. One of them, the taller, charged forward. A glittering blade was drawn at his side. It was obvious the mage had imbued magic into the sword. From the looks of it, it seemed he was using lightning magic. With the metal, the electricity was easy to conduct. He was quick and didn't foolishly swing his blade. Instead, he attempted to read Donovan before making a strike. The other, a much shorter mage, charged with quite a ball of fire in their hands, letting it grow to the size of a cantaloupe while the other mage swung his blade at Donovan. Donovan was easily able to dodge the volley of swings coming from the blade of lightning. His speed was too much for the mage to handle all on his own.