Chapter 17: Asra

For the rest of the ride, the two of them would kiss on and off. Oriana's whimpering turned into a gentle cooing sound. Her body and mind had eventually accepted the sensations that Donovan was sending to them. In the end, the two just lost track of time. The sun had started to set, and the warm August day began to cool. It was shortly after sunset that they hit a big bump, and their deep kiss was broken. The little princess bounced up in the air a bit and right back into Donovan's awaiting arms. 

The footman shouted back, "Are you okay, Princess?!" worried that he would find them out. Oriana quickly scurried back into her seat. She blushed furiously as she moved some hair from her face.

"Yes! I am fine. Thank you!" Oriana shouted back. She looked up at Donovan with a smile that was brimming with joy. "Thank you, Donovan, for the wonderful carriage ride. It was a pleasure to spend time with you," Oriana told him.

"The pleasure was all mine. No doubt it was something special." Donovan replied. His reply made Oriana blush. Taking her seat, Oriana looked out the window to see the city of Asra.

"Look Donovan! It's Asra! The city is famous for its creativity. Painters, bards, and performers alike come to Asra to be inspired." Oriana chirped. 

The city was beautiful, like Lanor; white walls surrounded it. Once inside the city, they could see that the whole place was bustling. There were beautiful gems laid out on stalls, original artwork displayed for sale, pottery, and sculptures all around. Each style was unique to the artist and beautiful in its own right. While not as large as Lanor, there was a grandeur about it. A sophistication that made the city its own.

"I see, I see!" Donovan said, reaching out and turning her head to him. Oriana's heart raced, and a pink tint brushed her cheeks. She wondered if he was going to press his lips against hers once more. Instead of a kiss, magic began to swirl around her head. After a moment, it stopped, and Donovan said, "There we go!"

"What was that?" Oriana asked.

"Your makeup was messed up from all the crying and kissing," Donovan replied. That was when Oriana noticed all the lipstick on Donovan's face. It was all over his lips and even smeared on his cheeks. The mere sight of it made her whole body turn red like a tomato.

"You should have said something earlier!" Oriana exclaimed.

The young princess quickly pulled a mirror out of a small bag to look at herself. In the meantime, Donovan used his magic to clear the lipstick stains from his face. Once she was done, Oriana looked back up at the city. The large marble walls outlined the city. Beautiful engravings lined the large walls, each made by a master craftsman.

"The walls are just like I remembered them all those years ago."

"So, your father actually let you out of the castle at some point?" Donovan asked.

"Yes, it was only after my mother was killed that I was made to stay inside the walls of the castle."

"So, it happened to you too, huh?" Donovan asked.

"Yes... I wasn't there to see it, but a mage shot a beam of magic through her chest. Her heart was completely destroyed, and she died instantly. We were betrayed by our courtmage, so you can see why Celsy and Killian are hesitant to accept you. "

Tears built up in her eyes as she looked out the window, remembering her younger self sitting in her mother's lap, listening to her stories about the different carvings on the wall. Stories of heroes and previous rulers. Together with the great artist who created them. She was woken from the memory as magic began to caress the side of her cheeks. Donovan made sure to not let her tears ruin the make-up he had just fixed.