Chapter 13: The Game

The large mage stood, crossing his arms across his chest. The dinner had quickly turned sour when Donovan blew up the glass chalice and cut the side of Tyir's face. He wasn't even looking at Oriana, just staring at the table. 

Eventually, he did speak up and said, "Can you believe that guy? What a prick! Putting his hands all over you like that, without even asking! He deserves more than a little cut on his face."

Oriana didn't say anything and instead would look around the room to make sure they were alone before she hugged Donovan tightly.

"Thank you," she whispered to him.

Donovan looked very confused by the hug and the thank you.

"You aren't mad?"

"A little," she said honestly, keeping her voice down. "I don't like you fighting with him, but I'm relieved. I honestly feel very disgusted by a lot of his actions. And frankly, I feel he's overstayed his welcome," she muttered.

"What a snake. I'll be happy to kick him out now," Donovan said with a smirk.

"Better not," she said. "If he leaves on his own, it will be much better."

"I should have punched him in the face, huh?" Donovan asked.

"No... He is still a noble. If word gets out that you hurt him, we could lose everything Winter Haven has given us. Along with an ally." Oriana replied softly.

"Is their allegiance to your kingdom really worth that man putting his hands all over you?" Donovan asked.

"Yes...and no. I don't want to feel uncomfortable, but my people's safety comes first." Oriana replied.

"What can I do to help you? I cannot stand to see him putting his hands on you like that." Donovan asked.

Oriana smiled. "For now, let's just get this game over with, so I can kiss him goodbye." She said softly.

"Don't think I am going to win?" Donovan asked with a smirk.

Oriana shook her head "It is not that I don't believe in you. Though Tyir has been playing that game against talented men since we were young and has won most of the games he's played."

"Well then, let me show you how talented I am! Then I will make you give me that kiss!" Donovan shouted as he began to walk out of the room. Oriana followed him slowly, not looking forward to what was about to happen. The duo had made their way to the gaming room, where Donovan would face Tyir in a game of Dragon King.

The gaming room had been cleaned of its dust thanks to Celsy. Killian had set up the game with the nice plush chairs and the board all set for them. It was just like when she was little, and she would watch her father play against Killian. The two of them always had a great time while she was nestled in her mother's chair, all cozy and warm by the fire. Tyir had already cleaned his wound and was now sitting, waiting for Donovan to take his place across from him.

As soon as Oriana got seated, Donovan sat down himself. "Ready to play?" Donovan asked.

"No, I am ready to get a kiss from my Queen." Tyir replied with a smirk.

On a small table in between two chairs, a checkered board with black and red squares resided. The board was eight by eight squares in size and made of marble. Each side of the board had exquisitely designed pieces. One side's pieces were made of onyx, while the other side's pieces were made of ruby. Each side took up the farthest sixteen squares. It left four squares in between each side's front pieces. In the front line was a row of eight pikemen. Behind them was a set of differently designed pieces. Mages, sorcerers, knights, and a mighty dragon king at the center. Next to him, a beautiful queen, making two rows of eight pieces each, for sixteen in total.