Chapter 12: Old Promises

As they walked away, Tyir angrily asked, "How can you stand such an unrefined and disgusting man!? He is not worth your time, Oriana. You should relieve him of his duties. I'd be happy to do it for you!" His face was still quite red. "I am certain you could easily find a powerful mage to replace him. I can even have my courtmage find someone more suitable!"

Oriana, however, was completely attached to Donovan and wasn't going to let him go. "I will do no such thing," she said. "Let's get one thing perfectly clear: the only mages I think are disgusting are those in the cult. They'll be gone one day, and everyone can live in peace. I just cannot forgive them for what they did to my father."

All Tyir could do was sigh at Oriana's reply. He could tell she wasn't going to be swayed, for the moment. "So be it. If that is what makes you happy, I guess that is all that matters."

"Please don't be mad and try to get along with him."

"Forgive me, Oriana. Sometimes, I forget how sweet and trusting you are, willing to believe that goodness will always prevail in Lanoria. You have always believed it."

Oriana smiled and puffed up her chest proudly. "And I still do!"

The two of them walked down the hall quietly, the princess taking the lead. When they got to the room, her crown, along with another, had been set out on a soft pillow. Her father's coronation crown, for ceremonial purposes, had been laid out. It had been in the family for generations.

Tyir smirked confidently as he turned to Oriana and took her hands in his before saying, "Are you trying to tell me something, Princess Oriana? I didn't think you would be so bold." Tyir teased her before he kissed her hands.

Oriana looked at Tyir with such wide eyes. "I suppose someone is..." she said quietly. She would have to talk to both Killian and Celsy! She took her hands from his and walked towards her crown.

"S-see the inlaid quartz? I just love pink gems," she told him, trying to stop her voice from shaking. "There's just something so beautiful about the color of the gems. As if they're delicate and pure," she said as she gently picked up the crown. That only had Tyir smiling while he looked over her crown.

"Yes, it is absolutely beautiful. I have to say, pink is definitely your color, because it's just like you. It is delicate and pure. You should wear it on our wedding day." The prince couldn't help himself around Oriana. He just had to spoil her with compliments. He took a moment before placing it on her golden locks carefully while she looked at him.

"What do you think? Does it suit me? Does it say 'Queen?'" She did not want to stay on the subject of marrying him. That was why she was bouncing around conversations.

"It just doesn't say queen, but great queen. I know you will make your parents proud and rise to be one of the greatest queens Barough has ever seen. So, I wouldn't worry about leading. You will learn to be a great leader in time."

He sighed before saying, "Also, I am not going to propose to you today. So, you can just relax. I know you're changing or avoiding the subject. Let's just enjoy ourselves. How it was when we were kids. When it was just the two of us, please do not let yourself get caught up in the moment." It seemed that Tyir had found her out, and that only made her redder in the face. Oriana was glad for the compliments, but what he'd said about not proposing that day did make her relax more.

"I suppose I have been quite jumpy," she admitted as she took her father's crown into her own hands as she looked at it. A pain rippled through her, and she gripped the solid metal tighter than she meant. She missed her father, and it was a painful reminder that he was not there with her. 

"It's not as if I haven't given it much thought; I have many times. I even remember pretending to marry you when we were children, when your family would visit, and, of course, when I was in good health. They're fond memories of mine. You were my only friend." Hearing that she had given it thought made the prince smile brightly.