Chapter 24: On Dragons Wings

Oriana kept her eyes closed, and soon she could tell there was a flash of light, which caused the young maiden to bite her lower lip in anticipation. She wondered what kind of special things he had planned for their first time together. Perhaps he was making a bed for them with his magic and covering them in beautiful flowers. After that, he would create beautiful dancing flames for them to enjoy themselves under. He cast his barriers to form the ideal dome to keep them safe. 

As Oriana's thoughts raced, finally it happened, as he said, "Open your eyes, beautiful." 

Oriana's eyes shot open as she undid the top button of her dress, wondering what kind of shrine Donovan had erected for them. At the same time, she was excited to see all of him. Everything she felt underneath his clothes. But what she saw instead was not anything that she had imagined.

Standing on all fours in front of them was a large blue dragon. It was at least thirty feet long and fifteen feet tall. It was the most beautiful dragon she had ever seen. The creature's scales were made of shards of ice and crystals. Its wings were not webbed, but instead they looked like an array of beautiful blue diamonds. Looking closely, she could see the dragon's sharp teeth hiding behind the crystalline fangs that came down over the dragon's lips. It was clearly a mighty creature, and Oriana's eyes widened. 

"Are we going to make love on top of a dragon?!" Oriana asked.

"What? No, I was planning on doing that once we got back to the castle. Did you want to do it out here?? I am not against it." Donovan asked Oriana. That made Oriana turn bright red, and she covered her face. She turned away to try to hide her shame. Donovan was trying to show her a dragon, and her head was in the gutter.

"I am sorry, Oriana. Are you afraid of the dragon? Don't worry, it's my familiar. Most mages form pacts with magical creatures. This is mine. " Donovan said, placing his hand on her shoulder. Oriana had to take the opportunity to try and change the subject.

Her face was still red when she turned around again to face him. "No! I love it! Your familiar is very beautiful! Can I please touch your dragon?" It was nearly all in one breath.

She was no longer afraid; Donovan wouldn't let the subject go so easily. "Which one? The one you were touching in the carriage or the blue one? Because it sounds like you were ready to touch both a moment ago," That made Oriana's face grow a deep scarlet.

"I was talking about the blue one! So may I please pet your dragon!" Oriana squeaked, her embarrassment at an all-time high.

That made Donovan laugh as he walked over to his dragon and said, "This is Princess Oriana Barough. She is a good friend of mine." He leaned in close to his dragon and whispered, "And she is very important to me." 

That made the dragon let out a squawk of surprise at his words. Something the dragon had never heard her master say. Oriana could see the dragon react to him. The dragon's sky-blue eyes now looked right at Oriana. She was aware that dragons were very intelligent creatures, though they didn't have the vocal cords to produce human speech. However, they could easily understand and comprehend what was being said.

Donovan turned to Oriana and said, "My dragon's name is Crystal. Feel free to come over here and touch her." Oriana nodded, making her way to the dragon. The closer she got, the larger she seemed. One of its legs alone was bigger than Oriana was. No doubt, this dragon could swallow her whole in one gulp if it wanted to. She gently ran her hand over Crystal's scales and slid her palm across the dragon.

"It's hard yet so smooth, just like diamonds," Oriana said as she felt the dragon. Crystal looked at Oriana curiously, watching the young woman, who felt her scales. The dragon moved her long neck over so she could sniff the princess. Oriana looked up into the dragon's shining blue eyes, giving her a smile. Crystal gave Oriana a big sniff, causing some of Oriana's hair to go into her eyes. That made the princess close her eyes tightly. Once Crystal had finished sniffing her, Oriana opened her eyes again.